Go Down

Topic: Arduino Yun and WiFi - need help getting started (Read 19609 times) previous topic - next topic

federicofissore

May be easier to borrow a laptop from a friend. Just because I don't like to make you spend more money than necessary :)

Farmboy

Thanks, but now I'm confused.

I am supposed to connect my Yun via Ethernet to my Router instead of my laptop, correct?  So what's the other laptop for?  I will need another router to connect Ethernet to my Yun because my current router does not have an ethernet port.

And the reason I want to do that is so that I can configure the Yun WiFi so that it will function via WiFi independently of the laptop, correct? 

So when I'm done I will have my Yun connected to my laptop via USB so I can communicate with the 32U4 to run sketches.  I will have Ethernet to configure the WiFi side of the Yun.  And then I will have Yun working WiFi via the internet independent of my laptop.  Correct?

Dean

Farmboy

Thanks for the help Frederico and all!

I now have a Router with ethernet capability, and the Yun is plugged into it.  And in the Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2 I see I have another port labelled: Arduino at 192.168.1.3 (Arduino Yun) 

If I select the Arduino ethernet port and then try to go to the serial monitor it asks for a password for the Yun.  Where does that come from? 

And I went to that 192.168.1.3 web address and got a request for password also.  So this seems like progress!

Dean

Farmboy

But I still haven't figured out the 5353 UDP port, where do I see that?  I've gone all through what I can find of the Firewall and not 5353 UDP port.

Deaan

Farmboy

Eureka!

I think I have it.  I hooked up the Ethernet, I was able to get into the Configuration screen and got it configured for my network and password and all that.  Then I unplugged the Ethernet, went into the Arduino IDE and downloaded the Blink program to the 32U4 over the WiFi if I understand it all correctly.  At least I presume if I select my port in the IDE as the Arduino with the 192.168.x.x address that it's working through the WiFi and NOT the USB.  The reason I ask is that I still have the USB connected for power, but other than that I presume it is not going via USB. 

So I think I'm off and running.  Many thanks to Jos, Sonny and Frederico for your patience and help.  This old micro guy from the 70's and 80's is lost in all these layers upon layers of software.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but at least for now I can get to working on my application.

Regards,

Dean

JosAH

The Yun doesn't have that many layers; it's MS Windows 8 that is to blame; it doesn't allow your laptop to connect over an open WiFi network, but it allows a connection over the wire (which makes that entire 'protection mechanism' (mind the quotes) futile). Check if you can reach Yun's webpage with your browser: http://192.168.x.x; I bet you can.

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy

Yes, I have gotten to the Arduino webpage and reconfigured it so that I can access via WiFi!   Now I'm ready to start figuring out how to write my application code.

My first step is to figure out how to send my applications commands via WiFi and read them into the Yun. 32U4.

Eventually I will have perhaps 20 Yun's in my system.  I assume that if I give each Yun a different name that then I just send my commands over the WiFi by that name, I won't need any other specific address to identify each individual Yun.

Regards,

Dean

federicofissore

Eventually I will have perhaps 20 Yun's in my system.  I assume that if I give each Yun a different name that then I just send my commands over the WiFi by that name, I won't need any other specific address to identify each individual Yun.

confirm: they will be something like livingroom.local, kitchen.local...

Farmboy

Jun 13, 2014, 03:33 pm Last Edit: Jun 13, 2014, 03:36 pm by Farmboy Reason: 1
Well, more like Stationone.local  Stationtwo.local, etc.  But yes, each different.  I presume that works.  My central controller will communicate with each separately to issue the commands.  

Or would it be better to give them all the same name and then bury an address in the message packet?  But that would require me to also program each Yun with that address, thus harder to move one to a new location.  I prefer to keep as much of the programming at the central controller.

Dean

Farmboy

May be easier to borrow a laptop from a friend. Just because I don't like to make you spend more money than necessary :)

Hi Frederico,

I am having trouble again.  In order to configure my Yun I got a WiFi router that had Ethernet.  Unfortunately, that router required 4G internet which was unreliable in my area so I had to go back to my JetPack MiFi router which can flip from 4G to 3G.  So I no longer have Ethernet capability.  And my Yun no longer seems to work on WiFi, I presume it's because my router password changed.  Is there a way using another laptop as the Ethernet connection as you seem to suggest in the message quoted above so that I can reconfigure this Yun?  Or should it still be working as it did before?

Thanks,

Dean

federicofissore

If you need to reconfigure wifi, I would reset Wifi of the Yun and restart from the beginning.

BTW, it happens I've just released version 1.1 of the image. The main difference is DFS (dynamic frequence selector). It's a feature of the wifi driver that should make it smarter in connecting to modern hotspots (as far as I understood it, at least)

You may want to upgrade the yun to this version and try if it improves your experience in any ways.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#toc8

theenggprojects

Moreover, they also provide complete programming help for Arduino which will make you ease I hope.

Go Up