Go Down

Topic: Stepper Motor Without a Shield (Read 5488 times) previous topic - next topic

electricviolin

I have a stepper motor from a printer teardown I did, but I do not have a shield with the arduino that I can use to run it with. I want to run the stepper without using any sort of shield. Is this possible without damaging the arduino? It is a 4 pin stepper by the way. Thanks!
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" -Thomas Edison

raschemmel

You can't ask that question without posting the specifications of the motor. (voltage/current).
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

electricviolin

Again, I got it out of an old printer, so I am not sure what the stats are. I do not mind using a transistor to run it, if that is what I have to do. I am just not sure how to wire it up and how it would affect the code.

raschemmel

Jun 12, 2014, 09:37 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2014, 09:47 pm by raschemmel Reason: 1
You can use any number of L293 or L298 motor drivers or  stepper motor drivers (RAMPS a4988) but nobody is going to recommend  anything until you tell them what voltage and how much current the motor requires. You can do whatever you want because they're your motors and if you burn them up it's your problem but WE can't recommend anything to you without some information about the motor. That's how we roll here. We aren't going to tell you to use a motor driver that wouldn't last 2 seconds.
If it's any help you can start by posting the winding resistance and number of wires. If it's FIVE , then it's UNIPOLAR.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

electricviolin

I googled all the number I could find on the motor, and I found that it is this motor:

http://www.nmbtc.com/pdf/motors/PM42L-048-HHC9.pdf

Its the datasheet for the motor. It says it runs at 24v, and 600 mAh

raschemmel

raschemmel

Jun 12, 2014, 10:51 pm Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014, 01:30 am by raschemmel Reason: 1
Google "stepper motor driver 24V ,600 mA"

Gilgamesh90

I have a stepper similar to yours:

http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog/pdf/motor_m49sp_2k_e.pdf

You can use an L293D and apply 12V with no risk.

raschemmel

L293 can operate with a supply voltage up to 36V (see attached datasheet)

electricviolin

Thanks, I will possibly buy that to help drive the stepper. One sad question though, how does a four pin bipolar motor work? I think there is +5v, gnd, signal pin for speed, and signal pin for direction. Is that right?

Chagrin

There are two separate coils in a bipolar motor. The leads are the ends of the wires that form those coils; there is no positive, negative, signal, whatever. Think of it as two separate electromagnets inside the motor where each electromagnet can be fed current in either direction to push or pull the rotor of the motor.

With respect to drivers, you'll spend much less money and have a much easier time using an A4988-based driver.

raschemmel

I agree the A4988 is a better solution but with respect to the ones you see with the heatsink CAUTION !
THE HEATSINK IS SO CLOSE TO THE PINS IF YOU SO MUCH AS BUMP IT WITH YOUR FINGER WITH POWER ON IT MAY TOUCH THE OUTPUT PINS AND DAMAGE THE CHIP ! The solution is Kapton tape on the sides adjacent to the pins. That will prevent contact and protect the chip.

TomGeorge

Hi.

http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2012/03/10/how-does-stepper-motor-works-part-1/
http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2012/05/13/how-does-stepper-motor-works-part-2/

This will help you understand how the different types of stepper motors work and the differences between them and normal DC motors

Hope it helps.

Tom...... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

raschemmel

I think there is +5v, gnd, signal pin for speed, and signal pin for direction. Is that right? 

You forgot Motor Power, which is a SEPARATE (from the 5V) power supply.
You cannot run the steppers from the arduino 5V.
I don't think you made it clear that you understood that.

electricviolin

Okay... I got it now... thanks, and sorry 

Go Up