Go Down

Topic: Usb b (Read 810 times) previous topic - next topic

Ravener96

Why does most arduinos use usb b connectors when usb a to usb a cables are so common?

fungus

Jun 13, 2014, 08:33 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2014, 01:28 pm by fungus Reason: 1

Why does most arduinos use usb b connectors when usb a to usb a cables are so common?

So you don't have to flip the plug over three times every time you connect it....?

Advanced Arduino

Paul__B

Why does most Arduinos use USB B connectors when USB A to USB A cables are so common?

I don't think so.  Male to female USB A "extenders" are moderately common, but the A to B "printer" cable is definitely more common.

PCB mount male "A" fittings are used on things such as the USB to TTL adapters, essentially because they tend to resemble a plug and some of the time, it is possible to plug them directly into a PC or hub port.  That is not always practical and extenders often have to be used.

Now I do hope you are not suggesting the fitting of a USB female connector on a board - as is done on the common "Breadboard Power Supply" modules because this is quite simply against the USB standard.

fungus

I don't think so.  Male to female USB A "extenders" are moderately common, but the A to B "printer" cable is definitely more common.

If it used one, I think it would be USB A Male-to-Male. I don't think I've ever even seen one of those.

Old printer cables? Yep. I've got loads of those.
Advanced Arduino

TomGeorge

Hi, I would think that the reason for the b type is obvious, smaller footprint and in my opinion a more physically robust connector.

The original USB connector is hopeless, it is not physically stable when it is plugged in, try it, see how much your mem stick wobbles about ,and that is wearing out the socket and placing pressure on the motherboard.

I prefer to use a usb hub to keep wear and tear down.

Tom.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Paul__B

If it used one, I think it would be USB A Male-to-Male. I don't think I've ever even seen one of those.

Oh, they are common as dirt - many devices do use them.

But I can never find one when I want one for the breadboard adapter.

Go Up