Go Down

Topic: [Solved]Need Help Battery Source (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jhaypee1683

Jun 17, 2014, 05:19 am Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014, 05:07 pm by jhaypee1683 Reason: 1
Hi all, im new in arduino and im making an obstacle avoiding robot. Here are the list of components that im using

• Arduino Uno

• 1 Servo

• 2 DC motor

• SRF04 (ultrasonic sensor)

• im also planning to add 2 IR sensor

and im having a problem with my power source. Im using 2 non rechargeable batteries and attach it on a 5v voltage regulator, the first 5v is for the arduino and the 2nd is for the other components. attach here is my schematic. i dont now how many battery  i need to make my other components work. or i have to change my circuit?
By the way the circuit is working if im using a 9v from a voltage adapter.
Thanks in advance.

dolinay

Standard 5 V voltage regulator will need about 7V at the input to work properly, so if you are using 1.5V batteries, you need to connect at least 5 in series. Using non rechargeable batteries will be expensive  and not very eco-friendly  :) You could use rechargeable Ni-MH batteries but you will need probably 7 of them in series as they have only 1.2 V. Or consider using low-drop voltage regulator.

fungus

Standard 5 V voltage regulator will need about 7V at the input to work properly, so if you are using 1.5V batteries, you need to connect at least 5 in series.

Nope. 1.5V batteries don't give 1.5V.

If you do it that way you need 6 batteries.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

jhaypee1683

Thanks for the reply. Im just using a non rechargeable batteries for now because it only what i have, but im planning to buy rechargeable batteries. ive also read some articles that the i have to calculate the current that flows in order to make the motors and the servo work properly. can you give me advice on whats the ideal mA of the battery if i buy one? 

fungus

ive also read some articles that the i have to calculate the current that flows in order to make the motors and the servo work properly.

That's correct.

can you give me advice on whats the ideal mA of the battery if i buy one?  

It all depends on the size of your motors and (more importantly) how hard you make them work.

A normal NiMH AA rechargeable can put out quite a lot of current though. Should be enough for a small robot with two motors.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

dolinay

Fungus is right. I would add that in my experience Sanyo Eneloop are great NiMH batteries if you need high current. Do not look for mA but rather for user reviews on how good the batteries are. A digital camera is good "benchmark" for battery quality. It is not that important if it has 2000 or 2500 mAh.  Also I prefer the kind with low self-discharge, they are called "pre-charged".

jhaypee1683

Jun 17, 2014, 05:52 pm Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014, 12:35 am by jhaypee1683 Reason: 1
Cool.. im really thankful for the reply guys... today ive manage to have a 4 1900mA and 4 2550mA  eneloop rechargable batteries from a friend and friend of a friend, because i cant afford to buy 1 right now... hahhahahah...  anyway base on your replies ive learned alot... i'll try to apply this and see what happens... i'll post my result after im successful... thank you very much... ^_^

Go Up