Go Down

Topic: Can i use bigger voltage on micro servo?? (Read 3283 times) previous topic - next topic

Smug

I have a Tower Pro SG90 Micro Servo, it says that with 5V the torque is 1,5kg/cm, if i put more voltage, will my servo have higher torque?   Can i use a independet 9V 1A supply without burning it or the arduino board?

CrossRoads

The servo just gets a control signal from the Arduino.
If you exceed the specs of  the servo, you just burn it up.
They are geared device with built in electronics. Not like a DC motor where you can put in higher pulsed voltage to get more out of it.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

retrolefty

I have a Tower Pro SG90 Micro Servo, it says that with 5V the torque is 1,5kg/cm, if i put more voltage, will my servo have higher torque?   Can i use a independet 9V 1A supply without burning it or the arduino board?

Most hobby servos are rated for 4.8 to 6.0 vdc, and you will get a little more torque and speed running at 6vdc. Going over 6.0 will only endanger the servo.

MarkT

Some are rated upto 7.2V, it pays to check the actual manufacturer's data...
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

zoomkat

Can i use a independent 9V 1A supply without burning it or the arduino board?

You need to run the 9v thru a voltage regulator to keep the servo supply at ~6v. You can use a 7805 regulator chip with a diode like below to supply the servo with ~5.7v. Bottom is a way to wire a servo for external power.

Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

Go Up