Go Down

Topic: Replacing one LCD with another (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

icebluegen3

Hi

I have  a project I am busy with which would require me to replace one LCD with another (completely different) one which would combine display info from what is currently shown on 2 seperate LCD's. I'm hoping someone can advise on whether my idea is feasible within a reasonable time frame or not.

In my car I have an LCD (16 segement type) which displays radio info, outside temeperature and the time. I want to replace the factory radio with my own one but maintain the display at the top of the dashboard. The aftermarket radio has a dot matrix display. So the plan is to get a new dot matrix display with higher resolution (I have found a 240x64 dot one) and place this where the factory display is. Then translate the display data coming from the aftermarket radio and combine it with some extra data and display it all on the new display.

The problem is that I do not know what type of controller is on the aftermarket radio display (numbers printed on it do not return any results)  and hence suspect it will take me a long time to reverse engineer the communication between the radio and display.

Can anybody advise on whether this would be a big job or if there is a simpler way to do this?

rogerClark

Take a photo of the device and post it.

Note. Quite a lot of the devices in equipment, especially from China etc, do not have data sheets that are available to the general public.

Have you looked at the original display, as to the display driver. It may have some markings that you can find information about.

Otherwise, your only option in this case, is to reverse engineer the protocol using an oscilloscope or logic analyzer.

Freelance developer and IT consultant
www.rogerclark.net

icebluegen3

I'll take a picture and post it when I get home this evening.

It is a COG display from a Kenwood head unit. There is a sticker with numbers on the back of the LCD, but I have not been able to find anything using those numbers. On the PCB it connects straight to a microcontroller (as expected), so no clues available there either.

rogerClark

OK.

I think you have a difficult task ahead, but its worth doing a bit of investigation.
www.rogerclark.net

icebluegen3

Jul 09, 2014, 12:49 am Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014, 12:51 am by icebluegen3 Reason: 1
I have attached an image of the back and front of the display. The resolution is about 192x64 (unconfirmed; I have removed it from the panel and not had a chance to put it back to check). It does not have a backlight built in as the backlight is supplied by the LED's on the PCB it mounts to.  It comes from a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693 (also KDC-X993) head unit.

There is a sticker on the back with the number:
221-3099-1125
S0 090310/A-0004
but I have not been able to find anything using this number.

So, anybody perhaps seen this display before and know what controller it uses?  :~

rogerClark

@icebluegen3

I think this is a near impossible job unless you can find the data sheet for the controller IC that is driving the display.

Even if you find that information, and can determine the connections to the existing display, you will need to build an interface for all those connections, as they may not be using voltages that are compatible with the inputs to a microprocessor e.g. max 5V.

You would then need to write software for the Arduino to read those signals and fill a frame buffer, and then merge the other data into that frame buffer, before outputting the pixels to your new display.

Although technically this is possible to do. Even with the data sheet for the display controller, it would take a huge amount of time and effort to complete.

So overall, I think this project is not really feasible.
www.rogerclark.net

icebluegen3

Thank you for the input; it is greatly appreciated. I suspected that it may be more work than its worth. I have a few alternative solutions that I am considering which could be much easier, so will put this idea at the bottom of the list for now.

Thanks again.

Go Up