Go Down

Topic: Trouble connecting Arduino to Ubuntu 8.10 64bit (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

claine

I just got my Duemilanove in the mail and I'm having trouble getting it connected properly.  I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit.  The IDE opens correctly and I can get code to compile etc, but it will not stay connected to a serial port.  Sometimes the 'serial' menu is grayed out and sometimes it lets me pick /dev/ttyUSB0.  The LEDs on the Arduino are constantly blinking which tells me that it's trying to establish a connection with the computer.  

When I look in the kernel log I see this:
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7536.912115] usb 7-5.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 55
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.026467] usb 7-5.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.026975] ftdi_sio 7-5.3:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.026998] ftdi_sio: Detected FT232RL
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.027075] usb 7-5.3: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.029982] usb 7-5.1: USB disconnect, address 54
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.030208] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.030221] ftdi_sio 7-5.1:1.0: device disconnected
Feb 26 22:58:07 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.244119] usb 7-5.1: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 56
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.358458] usb 7-5.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.358744] ftdi_sio 7-5.1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.358758] ftdi_sio: Detected FT232RL
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.358809] usb 7-5.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.361539] usb 7-5.3: USB disconnect, address 55
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.361763] ftdi_sio ttyUSB1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.361776] ftdi_sio 7-5.3:1.0: device disconnected
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.576116] usb 7-5.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 57
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.608362] hub 7-5:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.608734] usb 7-5.1: USB disconnect, address 56
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.609022] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Feb 26 22:58:08 alfred-u64 kernel: [ 7537.609036] ftdi_sio 7-5.1:1.0: device disconnected

It looks to me like it's very quickly connecting to USB0 then to USB1 and so on.  Any ideas on what I could do to figure out what's causing this and how I could make it stop?

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS I am able to get the board connected in a Windows 7 environment, so I know it does work and it's not the cable or USB port causing problems.

transfinite

Did you remove brltty, the braille tty package as mention on the playground:

If you have brltty installed (the default on recent versions of Ubuntu), you'll need to remove it.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/Linux

-transfinite

crappish

cl249099, what drivers did you use with W7? What build do you have? (or anyone else who has Arduino working with W7)

I'm having troubles connecting my Arduino (Duemilanove) to my W7 (build 7022) laptop (Sony VAIO FW11E).

When I plug it in the TX and RX leds blink rapidly couple of times and then the pin 13 led starts to blink (4 blinks, little pause, 4 blinks...). So I guess the board itself is ok?

The W7 realizes that there is a new hardware and I've tried with couple of different drivers for the USB Serial Port "device". It always seems to install properly (to COM7) but the Arduino-0013 software can't upload anything to it. I've selected the Duemilanove board and COM7 from the tools menu so that should be in order. Also the code (Digital->Button) compiles correctly.

The error that the software gives:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51


claine

Sorry for the late reply.  I eventually did get everything working on W7 and in Ubuntu 8.10.  I'll have to check what I did for W7 to make sure I tell you the right thing, but I know I had to search for awhile to find the right driver(s) to install.  Once I got the right drivers, the IDE started working no problem.  I have noticed for other hardware issues (non-arduino) in W7, they've all been resolved by running windows update so this issue may be moot at this point.  Some hardware (built into the mobo) that wasn't working at the start of the beta is working properly now.

My Ubuntu problem was solved by using another USB port.  The one I was using before was on the front of my computer case.  There are two ports on the front, both served by one connection to the motherboard.  It seems like in this case linux was doing some polling on those ports and couldn't tell for sure which one the arduino was connected to so it kept trying to connect it to both.  That's my theory anyway.  When I switched to a USB port on the back of the computer this problem went away.  Interestingly enough, I don't have this problem when I connect any other USB device to these ports while running linux.

Go Up