Go Down

Topic: My new Board (Read 4607 times) previous topic - next topic

IMSam

Hi all,

I want to show you my new arduino board project. It is still in test stage but things are looking good.
It's based on an arduino due with a little bit of this and that. It's hand soldered but the soldering seems to be OK.
If everything is good, I'll release the build files later.

Specs:

- ATSAM3X8E
- LCD + touch controller
- 5 inch LCD with touch screen
- 128Mbit serial flash
- 2 RS-232 ports
- RS-485 port
- I2C port
- CAN port
- Ethernet port
- USB port
- Micro SD card reader
- Programming port and debug port
- Some analog and digital pins output E-Port (connector not populated)

Please share your thoughts about it.

IMSam

2 More Photos

bobcousins

Looks very nice!

Any idea of cost?
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

IMSam

Hi,

When I made it I didn't think about costs as never had any thoughts about profit. I still don't.  As I said, once I'm sure everything works, I'll release the build files here. I believe it's possible to build it  with around $120 USD (board is a little expensive as is a 4 layers PCB)

Regards

bobcousins

That's about what I would have guessed. I was wondering because I am looking at cheap 3D printer controllers, which are slowly moving from AVR to ARM.

The SAM3X8E is about £8, for about £9 I could get a Cortex A5 (e.g. SAMA5), which is a significant bump in performance for a small fraction of the overall cost. It could also run Linux, with external RAM.

Finding non-BGA packages for the bigger chips limits the options though, so a fast M3 or M4 is probably more practical. A SAM3X board has the advantage of the Arduino ecosystem of course.
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

IMSam

Hi,

Did you look into olimex? I'm related to them in any aspect but they have nice boards with LCD/touch interface. I bought a board from them once and service was excellent.
If I remember correctly they have images for linux and android.
As you say those boards don't have all the arduino ecosystem.

Regards

Go Up