Go Down

Topic: LEDs too PCB's (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Sherpa

Hi all

I have a nine volt battery 32 RED LEDs 8 x 10 Ohms resistors.

I would like to get them all to blink, now I can do this with ease on the Arduino, but how would I transfer this to a PCB so that it would flash without the Arduino?

Am I going in the right direction by mentioning picaxe?

Your help would be gratefully received

Mr C

zooto68

Just put an Atmega168 chip + crystal with the bootloader onto your PCB.

Sherpa

Jun 12, 2009, 11:18 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009, 11:33 pm by Sherpa Reason: 1
Thanks for the reply, but i am a bit thick and do not fully understand, would you be kind enough to elaborate

retrolefty

Well it would help to give more specific information on what you want the blinking to be like. Do you want them to all blink on and off at the same time? Random? some kind of sequenial pattern? When blinking, how much time on and then how much time off, milliseconds, seconds, random times?

The answers will dictate the best solution, maybe a micro is not even required. However if as you say you do it already easily with an Arduino then the easy answer is to get a AVR chip with an installed Arduino bootloader, program it in your Arduino board and then transfer the chip to your new PCB board. The only extra support the chip needs is a few resistors, a 16mhz resonator a few caps and a voltage regulator.

A normal 9 volt battery will not give you very long duration for blinking 32 LEDs. If you use 4 AA batteries in series you will get longer duration and save the need for a voltage regulator on your PCB.

Lefty

mircho

As said before - you should describe better you needs. I have successfully used only the 555 IC to build "blinking" circuit. No need at all for a microprocessor.
More info:
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm

Sherpa

Well it would help to give more specific information on what you want the blinking to be like. Do you want them to all blink on and off at the same time? Random? some kind of sequenial pattern? When blinking, how much time on and then how much time off, milliseconds, seconds, random times?

The answers will dictate the best solution, maybe a micro is not even required. However if as you say you do it already easily with an Arduino then the easy answer is to get a AVR chip with an installed Arduino bootloader, program it in your Arduino board and then transfer the chip to your new PCB board. The only extra support the chip needs is a few resistors, a 16mhz resonator a few caps and a voltage regulator.

A normal 9 volt battery will not give you very long duration for blinking 32 LEDs. If you use 4 AA batteries in series you will get longer duration and save the need for a voltage regulator on your PCB.

Lefty

Thanks lefty,

I would like them all to blink on and off together, on for one second, then off for one second. This is for my 2yr old boys push bike, I made him a flashing number plate :). Is there something I am missing here or is it just experience as I am not afraid of reading learning etc, but how can I go about determining what things I need for the circuit and PCB?

Regards
Mr C

tyler_lavite

As far as PCB layout and etching design here is a link to some do it yourself stuff.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/445/PC-Materials/1.html

retrolefty

Mr C;

In that case a simple 555 timer chip wired as a oscillator then driving a switching transistor should work fine. There are a ton of 555 circuit drawings on the web.

Lefty

Sherpa

As always thank you all very much for your time and imput

Mr C

Grumpy_Mike

8 x 10 Ohms resistors.

Throw those away, 10R is too small to limit the current for a 9V battery. You need something like 350R.

Go Up