Go Down

Topic: Best PCB degign for beginner. (Read 15229 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

I have full up version, but only 1 computer to run it on anyway.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

coliban

Stupid me, i´ve downloaded eagle 6.6.0 and adapted it on a Suse 13.1, which was cumbersome because i had to find all the 32bit Libraries for the 64Bit Suse, only to discover that Cadsoft would offer a 64bit Version, egale-7.1.0. Ok, i should get used to the UI, but i haven´t yet figured out how to create a new part in the library, maybe this may be as complicated as in Fritzing, but maybe i need some more investigations. So, i think all products of this category have their pros and cons...

regards

coliban

Now i am at home and have downloaded eagle 7.1.0 for Mac OSX. While it was easy to install, i just can´t figure out how to create/modify a part, i tried it for Firtzing with the atmega328 and it was not working and with eagle i have not managed to import an library, which should be not ver complicated. So i overthink to buy an eagle version if i find an open source software, where i could manage to modify the parts i need.

regards

CrossRoads

I'll do up a little tutorial on making a part when I get home. It's not that difficult, and gets easier with practice. Can really be explained in about 4 slides with screen shots, some arrows, and a sentence or two.  I struggled with when I started too, until I realized it was just easier/quicker to start from scratch for each part.
Modifying a part that is in some other larger library, I find that hard too.
What is easy is to find the library for a part at Newark.com for a single part.
Or, open an existing board and use File:Export:Library (I think that's the path) and export all the parts on an existing board (Arduino, Sparkfun).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

coliban

Ah, thank you, Crossroads.

There are some tutorials in the net, but when i try to follow them, it is like they have always a little different environment. I have  already found the atmega328, but somehow, i am not able to get it in a project, when i create one. Maybe i have to learn a lot more, before i can start to assemble a board. I will make only very small projects, it would be sufficient to have a very simple designer, but it should provide a way to build or change parts by oneself.

regards

CrossRoads

Creating New Eagle Symbol tutorial, slides 1-4.

CrossRoads

slides 5-8.

Boardburner2

I think its what you are all used to.
I have not seen a reference to pcb spark which is free and has a similar feel to easy pc which i used to use.

I used to use orcad which was an expensive professional package , employer supplied.

Some pcb producers offer their own packages these days.

Design spark has no limitations and has an autrouter which i cannot comment in as i do not use them.

Downside for arduino is that there seem to be no arduino reference designs i can see although there is an eagle import library.

Also dxf output which i use for cutting solder paste masks does not seem to be read by some software.

Eagle has a limited free package that you can try.

If you have not used one before all i can suggest is you try the free offerings until you get a feel for the way they work.

Boardburner2

Further to that, reread said eagle was dos era.
Easy pc was too i found the transition to design spark quite easy as it has a similar feel.

Nothing against eagle which many favour and have used once or twice  but design spark is free and not crippled.

westfw

I think its what you are all used to.

A lot of people seem to expect a PCB design package to be like a drawing program, but it really NEEDS to do a lot more than that,  and consequently is usually significantly different...  (One difference is that you really want all the bits and pieces to have NAMES.  Pin names, signal names, etc...)

CrossRoads

Names for sure - clicking on a trace and seeing N$65 tells you nothing -but if you have named it SCK  you can go Ah ha! Give that one some priority and not make it long & winding & full of vias as you route on the board, or see that the autorouter has run it all over the place due to your poor job of parts placement to start.

coliban

@CrossRoads,

thank you!

Overwhelming  work, and much work to gather all the figures out of eagle.

Is is a great help!
Since i now am on Linux in my work break, i testet it on linux and most of the steps i was able to recreate, although the linux-eagle version is apparently different from the windows version, but in the whole, it can be reproduced.

Now i am able to create new parts, i did it with the atmega328, but i must learn, how to set the right sizes. I still have a problem to access my newly created part, when i create a new board, i have no access to my new parts, although i can incorporate my new library with the new parts, when i try to add the new part to a board, the library is empty, so i can´t create a new project or board with my newly created part. Maybe i missed one step an i have to make more investigations.

When i am at home this evening , i will follow your tutorial on Mac OSX, perhaps there is an other situation, although it should work on linux as well.

Thnak you for your work. i really appreciate this!!

regards

p.s.: when i can create a new board with my new part, i will stay with eagle. But i think, for new users, designers like Frtizing would be the simpler alternative, although i think, with a good tutorial it would be better to stick with the mainstream and eagle...

coliban

Aug 14, 2014, 11:16 pm Last Edit: Aug 14, 2014, 11:28 pm by coliban Reason: 1
Hello CrossRoads,

i have assembled your tutorial now on the Mac (where it is, again, slightly different) and i can draw the symbol and the package, but i can´t do anything with the "device" step on Slide 7. It´s like on Linux, when i reach this point, then i don´t find the connection to the rest of the workflow. I must investigate even more, and i think, it is not wrong what i heard, i think i have to learn eagle perhaps for 1 or 2 weeks until i can serious work with it.

regards

p.s.: now i found a way to place the device!

thank you

Really complicated, now i can´t connect the names to the pins because it shows only Pin1 and start then at Pin15 (?) so i can´t connect Pin2 to Pin14. I will try it on the weekend, this evening, i got a step further.

regards

CrossRoads

Connecting, scroll up & down the list & pick the name you want.
I don't have Linux, so I can't advise on why the 3 command choices wouldn't be accessible for to select them.

Cactusface

Aug 15, 2014, 10:28 am Last Edit: Aug 15, 2014, 10:48 am by Cactusface Reason: 1
Hi,
     I find Eagle a nightmare!!  Diptrace is much more user friendly, especially for a new beginner. Easy to create your own components and PCB patterns, in your own libraries too....   I make my PCB's by the laser toner method and find this gives me some very nice boards, if only single sided, will get around to double sided later (Tricky, but not impossible!).

I have a copy of Eagle just to be able to read?  the many Arduino PCB files that are around the net, but I can't use it!!

Regards

Mel.
Open your mind! But not too far, your brains might fall out.
Also like Photography, model building and my 300+ Cacti and Succs.

Go Up