Go Down

Topic: [Solved] Clone arduino Mega 2560 - no serial port DCcduino Mega 2560 (Read 171173 times) previous topic - next topic

mafkaan

@dmatyukhin

Thanks for your effort. That did the trick.

mafkaan

Dreamkiller

Installed that driver (from: http://www.5v.ru/ch340g.htm) and had a port configured.
Thanks Stan
it works for me as well on Win7 64bits

yours
Mat

Koepi

http://www.wch.cn/downloads.php?name=pro&proid=178.

http://www.cindori.org/enabling-trim-on-os-x-yosemite/

Just to summarise. On Yosemite:
1. install the driver
2. Run this:
Code: [Select]
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
3. Restart
Well - that works only half way through for me. It's highly instable. Though the current driver significantly improves handling as the name is now without spaces. Need to wait for a more stable driver version, though. Thanks for this summary! :)

ChilliTronix

Drivers are available from the 340 chip manufacturer here:
http://www.wch.cn/downloads.php?name=pro&proid=65

They are also built into Linux.

spicetraders

GREAT SHARE.
I had been doing OK with my NANOs working till yesterday.  Still not clear why after working for days/weeks when others did not my NANO stayed enabled.  But in tearing down one circuit to make something new, the port did not come up.

So after making sure of my driver install and still no working port,  I read and looked at the entry.
But with caution opened the terminal and made the change and yes the Nano is back and running.

rich1812

I bought two of these Mega 2560 from China, the seller provided this driver which works well on the 32-it Macs (Up to OS X 10.7 Lion.) if you use the 64-bit Mac for Arduino development, hate to say you might be out of luck :(

For everyone's convenience, I uploaded it here as a zip file. Beware, the read me file is all in Chinese! :)

Hands0n

Well that was a very interesting few days!  :smiley-yell:   For a little while I thought that I was going quietly insane.   :smiley-eek:   :smiley-razz:   But its all fixed now...

I received from an EBay seller a small batch of Arduino Nano ATMega328 boards and ran into this problem immediately.  All of the symptoms described by other posters in this thread I experienced.  Nothing worked.  I must have installed the FTDI drivers dozens of times, but the Arduino Nano would not be seen by my system, a Macbook Air with OS X Mavericks 10.9.5.

It was another thread that gave me the clue - perhaps the Nano doesn't use an FTDI chip at all. And sure enough, it does not.

Etched on the chip are the details; WCH CH340G 2026850406 - so I searched Google for "CH340G" and located this thread at the top of the search.

The Chinese website is very slow and the download of the WCH drivers failed.  But thanks to @rich1812 (above) the file he links to downloads very quickly and installs okay in OS X Mavericks.

Be sure to reboot the Mac after installing the drivers. 

When plugging the Nano in to the Mac's USB port you can check if the driver has loaded by opening up a terminal and entering the command

ls /Dev/tty.wchusb*

My own device shows up as tty.wchusbserial410

So now I can get on with making use of these cheap Chinese Arduino Nano.   Woo hoo!

andypugh

I am wondering if Yosemite rejects the driver for good reasons. I have found that if you unplug my Nano-clone with this USB-serial converter then the Mac instantly reboots.
(This feature does not meet with my approval)

andypugh

Actually, I was too quick assigning blame. It was nothing to do with the USB-serial at all, and everything to do with the capacitor on the Arduino power supply. (presumably a large current surge when plugging-in caused a rather serious problem. But it shouldn't crash the Mac surely?)

ChilliTronix

The CH340 driver for Windows is fully signed, and built into Windows 8. It is also standard in Linux, so no, Yosemity has no good reason for not liking it. It may be that the manufacturer hasn't paid a fee to Apple but that is it.

I use Linux where the CH340 works like a charm.

spicetraders

Actually, I was too quick assigning blame. It was nothing to do with the USB-serial at all, and everything to do with the capacitor on the Arduino power supply. (presumably a large current surge when plugging-in caused a rather serious problem. But it shouldn't crash the Mac surely?)
self protect mode.

GaelJ

Thank you rich1812 and all other contributors. I got my first arduino nano today, a clone with the CH342 and was able to compile and upload in a few minutes after quickly find this thread !

I was about to update my Mac to Yosemite, but it looks like I should wait a little bit ...

spicetraders

The problem is not Yosemite!  Folks report issue with Lion, Tiger, etc.
It is not OSX itself.  Nor is the MACs by themselves the issue.  I have 5 MACs and ten boards all work nicely.
I have more issues occur on my Panasonic and Motorola Toughbooks with the IDE.

I do know and have seen the MACBooks and one MAC desktop shutdown from current overload on USB port.  As I stated a self protect function.

I suspect it is add-on apps or hardware,  or configuration changes.

With that stated Yosemite does affect older apps that have not been upgraded in a few years (third party app support from vendors) but the same thing occurred with lion.  But both versions of the current post IDE function well.

Go Up