Looking for readable LCD display without backlight

Is there a 2" or 2.5" lcd display that is easily to read, without backlight ?

I would like to make a battery operated multimeter/datalogger.
The display should be readable without backlight.
For now I think I will be using the Nokia 5110, but it is small, and not very good readable without backlight.
The eInk/ePaper from Adafruit is too small (and expensive) and it doesn't have to be that good : SHARP Memory Display Breakout - 1.3 96x96 Silver Monochrome : ID 1393 : $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Does anyone know such a display ? I see them in devices, but I can't buy a module with such an display.

Does anyone know such a display ? I see them in devices, but I can't buy a module with such an display.

I guess the real tip-off would be to look for a display with only 14 pins.

Don

I find the 5110 just fine. Perhaps your solution is to have a press-button so that the backlight is only used momentarily.

5110 is your best bet.

You can get larger displays, but I guess power consumption will be an issue. There are a few 128*64 graphical modules available.

The paper type displays are also very good, I'm going to get one of those soon.

floresta, you mean like a standard display for the LiquidCrystal library, but without the backlight pins ? The ones I can find are cheap and not crystal clear.
Nick_Pyner and amvcs08, only if I can't find something better...

Most lcd displays in my house (the ones without background light) are the same as devices from 1980. But some modern LCD displays have a much higher contrast. I think the background is extra reflective.
With the Nokia 5110, I feel as if I have been thrown back to 1980.

I cant think of anything different from the 1980's displays. I believe they all are of the STN type, perfect for outside use, not so good for indoors (without back light, that is).

Do you have an example of something with these more visible LCD's?

The don't have the green-ish color, and have no grain in the grey background.
I think they are TN LCD with an Reflective Polarizer. But perhaps the TN LCD are not matrix-dot displays.
http://pikimal.com/blood-pressure-monitor/omron-intellisense-7-series-wrist-blood-pressure-monitor

This one is F-STN and "reflective" : http://www.graphosign.com/signature-pad-devices.asp#stu430

Have you checked out the displays here?

Thanks. This could be a nice one : 128X64 Graphic COG LCD | FSTN + Display with No Backlight
But it's not a module for the Arduino ...

Peter_n:
The don't have the green-ish color, and have no grain in the grey background.
I think they are TN LCD with an Reflective Polarizer. But perhaps the TN LCD are not matrix-dot displays.
http://pikimal.com/blood-pressure-monitor/omron-intellisense-7-series-wrist-blood-pressure-monitor
This product is no longer available.

This one is F-STN and "reflective" : Firma Grafometrica | Kit All Inclusive | Namirial.it

Oh, I know exactly what you mean now!

That is the same screen, they just don't fit the backlight module under, rather they fit a somewhat reflective adhesive behind the screen that reflects light, rather than absorbing it (as it happens with the backlight models).

Technically a back light enabled display is clear, so you can try and put something reflective like a white piece of glossy paper behind it. That should improve visibility significantly.

Some pocket PC's in the past had it along with a more sophisticated backlight.

That wouldn't hard to interface to tho:
15~22 DB7~DB0 MPU This is an 8?bit?directional data bus.
23 /RD MPU Active low Read signal
24 /WR MPU Active low Write signal
25 A0 MPU Register Select. 0: instruction; 1: data register
26 RESTB MPU Active low Reset signal. (May tie to VDD)
27 CS1B MPU Active low Chip Select. (May tie to VSS)

Add a shuft register for the 8 data bits, and just have 4 control signals - read, write, chip select, instruction/data select.
Use the breakout board they show to provide a means to connect the ribbon cable to an Arduino/shift register.

Thanks, I also found them on Ebay. I will look for cheap and big... XD I bought a Nokia 5110 display module today for 1.75 euros, so I'm willing to spend 10 times more.

This Nokia module is 1.75 euros: 84x48 Pixel LCD Module Blau Backlight Adapter LED PCB für Nokia 5110 Arduino | eBay (careful, they don't ship to many countries).

Did you see the DOG series of displays here http://www.lcd-module.com/products/dog.html?
All these DOG displays are avialable also as reflective version without backlight. Usually available from mouser.com.

My personal favorit is the EA DOGS102N-6 (FSTN Reflective Superwhite Background).
Displays are supported by U8glib, except for the displays with UC1611 controller.

Another nice thing about these displays is the fact, that they do not have this flex cable. Instead a normal SIL pinheader can be used.

Note: For versions with backlight, the actual backlight must be ordered additionally.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver, but I have not found a display yet.

This is the one you mentioned : EA DOGS102N-6: LCD-Grafikmodul mit Display-RAM, 33,6 x 22,4 mm, weiß - schwarz bei reichelt elektronik
But I get confused what color it is. And it is 3.3V.
Or can I use it from the 3.3V pin and a 3.3V I2C bus ?

This one is similar (text, no graphics), but it's also not 5V : EA DOGM204W-A: LCD module 4 x 20, white at reichelt elektronik

When I finally see a nice display, it costs 80 euros. Perhaps what I had in mind is not possible. I probably gonna dream about displays...

Hi Peter

The DOGS102 reflective version is black and white only. For the other displays you have some options for the background color. See the datasheet for this. And yes, you will need a 5V to 3.3V level translator chip for the Arduino Uno. The Arduino Due can drive this display directly.

Grüße aus BW, Oliver

I decided to make a small version of my voltmeter/datalogger running at 3.3V with the EA DOGS102N-6 from www.reichelt.com
Using a 12V Li-ion battery pack, DC-DC converter, voltage reference, SD card, 8MHz 3.3V Arduino Pro Mini and usb-ftdi converter. Maybe I will add an amplifier and a RTC, but I start without.

Thanks everyone.

I would like to share my experiences trying to buy a EA DOGS102N-6 display in Europe.

www.reichelt.com : Shipping costs are okay with 6.95 euros. I have been trying to register but I run into about 10 severe website errors. Finally I worked around them and could log in. Once logged in, I can no longer search for items. No response to mail.

www.mouser.com : Shipping is 20 euros $) and they don't even have the solder I need.

www.soselectronic.com : my email-address is not accepted.

www.distrelec.com : my email-address was not accepted, so I had to use another one. The prices on the website are without taxes/VAT. The payment failed, and I got a message that perhaps it was paid and perhaps not. So I have to wait another day to see if it was paid. When I log out, the order was canceled. I can not store the items, so I made a screendump and I probably have select the items again tomorrow.

Maybe someday I can actually hold the EA DOGS102N-6 display in my hands, but it feels as if I have stepped into a Kafkaesque parallel universe.

I know exactly what you mean...

A few more companies you may want to try:

http://www.eve.de/dogs102n6.html
http://de.shopping.com/ea-dogs102n6/ktYjBm_HielkcCynwcZvOg==/info?sb=1
http://www.lcd-module.com/products/dog.html

Hi

To my knowledge, at reichelt.de you can buy without registration.
mouser.com has free shipping above 65€. I never had been below that limit :roll_eyes:

Oliver

I'm venting my frustration here : The payment to www.distrelec.com failed and the order was on hold. I checked my bank account and it was debited from my account. So I mailed with distrelec in August, and they shipped my order. So guess what happened today ? I got a reminder to pay within 5 days.
Now I had to call them again, and sent them a screendump of my bank account.