Go Down

Topic: Arduino Lightsaber (Read 414962 times) previous topic - next topic

Canobi

Quick update regarding the field test boards. Key parts are finally in which took forever to arrive (Chinese new year probably).

Few vids coming up as a result, I'll try and get the first one finished tomorrow.

Protonerd

I'm waiting on my Canobi board. I figure why not demo the Mk. IV software and his board at the same time?
Wow, Jake, I saw that MK IV video with the motion conrolled blaster block! That elevates this FX to a whole new level! I always felt awkward because pushing the button (which is just never there where my fingertip looks for it) and swinging the saber at the same time gave me a finemotoric challenge. Not that is history!

JakeSoft

Wow, Jake, I saw that MK IV video with the motion conrolled blaster block! That elevates this FX to a whole new level! I always felt awkward because pushing the button (which is just never there where my fingertip looks for it) and swinging the saber at the same time gave me a finemotoric challenge. Not that is history!
Thanks, Proto! It was stupidly simple to do too. Just play a blaster sound instead of a swing. All the same logic applies. I'm surprised nobody has done it yet. I bet others will now, though.  ;)

neskweek

Thanks, Proto! It was stupidly simple to do too. Just play a blaster sound instead of a swing. All the same logic applies. I'm surprised nobody has done it yet. I bet others will now, though.  ;)
Starting by me ;)

JakeSoft

neskweek

neskweek

Mar 03, 2016, 07:49 pm Last Edit: Mar 04, 2016, 09:25 am by neskweek
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I was searching some good speaker to put inside a hilt, and I found that somesurface tranduscer measure exactly 28mm in diameter (and they are 4ohms 3W).

Do you think those could be used to transform the outer surface of the hilt into the actual speaker (not mentionning it would also act as a rumble device) ?

[EDIT]
So I may answer to myslef by a yes, it can.
here are some examples :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC1GUSu1bLU
Ok, our surface is not the same (smaller) , but I'll take that as a proof of concept.
Tests needs to be made.

Furthermore, the blade could also be used as a speaker : I found some interesting devices that uses piezo electrics device and plexiglass to make fantastic speakers.
So applying a correct piezo speaker to the emiter might produce the same.

Canobi

The transducer's contact has to be mounted flush with a flat surface so might not work in a tube without an internal plate of some kind.

I have a bunch which I bought for a Tron identity disc project ad I'm not keen on putting speaker holes in the shells and they were the perfect solution.

I really really like the idea of turning the blade into a speaker though, it makes sense as its probably the blade that makes all the sound anyway.

neskweek

Mar 05, 2016, 12:09 am Last Edit: Mar 05, 2016, 12:20 am by neskweek
I was thinking putting one or more of those  small transducer, vertically, inside the emiiter walls.

If the blade needs to be sanded in order to get flatter, in that place,  that shouldn't be a drama :)

I just thought of something more.
15 days ago I watched  Sabertalk 8 on Spacewindu youtube channel and during this program they talked about the possibility to push saber sound to another device via Bluetooth.

That's quite an interresting idea. But not an easy one to achieve for several reasons.
But if we want to just have sound to a bigger external speaker, I just thought that a FM Radio emitter would make just as good without difficulties. So I also ordered a tiny module to add to my future hilts.

JakeSoft

The transducer's contact has to be mounted flush with a flat surface so might not work in a tube without an internal plate of some kind.

I have a bunch which I bought for a Tron identity disc project ad I'm not keen on putting speaker holes in the shells and they were the perfect solution.

I really really like the idea of turning the blade into a speaker though, it makes sense as its probably the blade that makes all the sound anyway.

This might work. I'd be interested to see somebody try it. It would probably not be dual-able, but would be a good show piece.

Canobi

Yay, it finally worked!

Was having a major headache trying to upload this video the last couple days and suddenly it's worked :D

https://youtu.be/8MqT_i8w57E

Just out of interest, how does one embed video on this site? I can't seem to find an icon for it.

Canobi

Just found these:

They're very close in size to the discontinued micro 3w amps but have the added advantage that they can take pin headers, which would certainly make integrating them on the board more straightforward.

Protonerd

Yay, it finally worked!

Was having a major headache trying to upload this video the last couple days and suddenly it's worked :D

https://youtu.be/8MqT_i8w57E

Just out of interest, how does one embed video on this site? I can't seem to find an icon for it.
I can only stand up and bow to you Sir! I never though someone actually can make a PCB at home, awesome!

MAS3

Embedding video was a hack in older versions of the forum software.
It is one of the many things that got broken after updating to the newest and beta SMF forum software, about a year ago.
Don't expect that to be fixed any time soon.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Canobi

I can only stand up and bow to you Sir! I never though someone actually can make a PCB at home, awesome!
Thank you :)

This is just the beginning, at some point down the line I want to include electro plating to my roster of fabrication skills so I can do proper vias on two sided boards.

I'm still on one side at the moment but I can see me moving on to two very soon.

Actually, I could possibly do with your assistance. I saw your open source saber board thread and it got me thinking about integrating an amp on mine but not sure I can pull it off on a one sided PCB.

Go Up