Go Down

Topic: couldnt find a computing section to the forum but anyway (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

arduidiot

can someone please explain to me the basic principle of how this device acts as a memory storage. as is obvious from the image there is an obvious similarity to a compact disc, but i can't readily identify a laser diode so im a bit confused.
im a good observer. not the brightest but very curious.

that poor innocent dog died from AC. he died.

I do not refuse my dinner simply because I do not understand the process of digestion."

AWOL

Looks like a fairly standard hard disk drive to me.

Moving to "Bar sport"

arduidiot

Sep 05, 2014, 02:56 pm Last Edit: Sep 05, 2014, 03:00 pm by arduidiot Reason: 1
tnx i guess i never thought to open one up before and id removed the labels and misplaced them hence the imbarassment of revealing i dont know what a hard drive looks like

I do not refuse my dinner simply because I do not understand the process of digestion."

SirNickity

LOL -- yeah, I was looking for the non-obvious answer, since I've known what the guts of a hard disk looks like for years upon years.  But I guess no one is born with that knowledge, so everyone has their first gee-whiz moment of seeing how they actually work.  Pretty cool stuff, especially if you watch while it's powered on.

keeper63

...and if you want to see an earlier form of a "moving head disk drive" - a really great one is the Bryant Model 2 Disc Files from 1965:

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102646212
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Henry_Best

...and if you want to see an earlier form of a "moving head disk drive" - a really great one is the Bryant Model 2 Disc Files from 1965:

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102646212
A computer lab technician friend of mine has a 30" dia. by 1/2" thick steel disk from a similar drive in his office. I'd hate to have been around one of those if the bolts holding it in place sheared...

arduidiot

cool thanks heaps guys yep i have a low level of computing knowledge for sure links very much appreciated

Go Up