Go Down

Topic: STM32, Maple and Maple mini port to IDE 1.5.x (Read 606808 times) previous topic - next topic

turkogluky

@veliusta
ingilizce ile zorlanıyorsan yardımcı olabilirim.
birkaç aydır stm32 ile ilgileniyorum. çalışmalarımın çoğu düzgün çalışıyor.
Mustafa

veliusta

Thank you very much. It is worked.

@turkogluky 
Teşekkürler hocam. Bende yeni başlayacağım. 1 tane Maple Mini 2 tanede STM8S103F3P6 aldım.
STM8'i nasıl programlayacağımı bilmiyorum. Bir yerde takılırsam size pm atarım. Kolay gelsin.

rogerClark

@veliusta

STM8 is an old processor

I think it is 8 bit

It will not work with Arduino STM32.
Freelance developer and IT consultant
www.rogerclark.net

zoomx

I can confirm that STM8 is a 8bit ST processo but is still active, nothing in common with STM32. Unfortunately I didn't find any Arduino IDE core for it. Moreover the flash loader demonstrator doen't work with it, it works only with STM32. You must use ST Visual Develop that is in the pack that you can download from ST and a STlinkV2.
I have two STM8 cheap boards, STVisualDevelop and a STLinkv2 clone but I was not able to communicate with the board.

john1993

ive been using stm8 for some years now because it is the lowest cost chip in the world yet very powerful. this is also why it has surpassed pic, avr, 51 etc as goto 8 bit mcu in chinese modules. for me sdcc (small decvice c compiler) is the best tool. much easier to work with than gcc even with the arduino shell.

those $4 stlink dongles can be considered the "usbasp" of the 8 bit stm world. infinitely better than dealing with flaky built-in usb interfaces and second only to serial boot in friendliness. unfortunately a 50 cent chip cannot afford to have a factory bootloader like older brother stm32 but swim is a perfect way to get your feet wet.

turkogluky

Jun 11, 2015, 12:49 am Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 12:52 am by turkogluky
My favour is STM32F103
Low cost, Good performance. Supports most of interfaces…
Easy to program (Thanks for STM32Duino.COM @rogerClark and supporters.)
We are not producing 1000s of boards. So STM8, PIC, 51 is not my concern.
So my advice is maple mini board.
Mustafa

zoomx

Jun 11, 2015, 08:02 am Last Edit: Jun 12, 2015, 07:54 am by zoomx
@john1993
I have two differents cheap STM8 boards and a STLINKV2 clone. None of them where recognized by ST Visual Develop. The error message is like they are not connected at all. I was able to connect to an STM32 but not  with these cheap boards. Can you give me a link to a guide, if there is one?

rogerClark

Can someone tell me why you'd want to use an STM8 processor ?

I can see they are possibly a couple of dollars cheaper than the cheapest STM32 board, but unless you are mass producing something, which only needs a simple processor, I can't see that the STM8 is very good value

i.e STM32 is substantially faster (minimum 5 times faster and in practice since its 32 bit not 8 bit, its going to perform 10 x faster for most average jobs, plus it has loads more ram and loads more flash)
www.rogerclark.net

zoomx

Jun 11, 2015, 09:53 am Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 09:58 am by zoomx
Roger,
for me is just curiosity.
No doubt that STM32 and ARM are better, there are many boards with ARM.

john1993

@john1993
Can you give me a link to a guide, if there is one?
the eevblog link i posted earlier in this thread, which brought me up to speed on the stm32 chips, is also imo best intro to stm8 series. googling "one dollar one minute arm" it comes up first. not only kindergarten instructions but all tools including the compiler are attached.

in addition to having the cleanest most symmetric instruction set (6502 clone) as mentioned stm8 is the lowest cost MCU in its class. or any class for that matter. that last not a concern for hobbyists but one of my clients who uses hundreds of thousands appreciates it. i piggypack his orders and picked up a couple hundred for 17 cents each. even small quantity less than a quarter as seen in that eevblog thread.

this is not in the same class as any of the 32 bit chips. there is no doubt 103, specially c8, is king of the arm. some enthusiasts have other favorites but not based on critical analysis. certainly my choice here but comparing these to avr and other 8 bit its really apples and oranges.

zoomx

rogerClark

Just to keep this thread up to date...

I think the major advance we've had over the last 2 or 3 weeks is the creation of the STM32duino bootloader.

This is basically a modified version of the Maple mini bootloader, but with some research done by @Victor_PV, we've managed to get most generic boards to do the USB re-enumeration, so they behave very much like a Maple mini.

The bootloader code has had quite a major overhaul as well, so that we set the compiler to optimize for size and reduce the bootloader footprint down from 20k to 8k.
Plus there is now just one unified source code for all the boards e.g. Maple, Maple mini, and generic boards, with Makefile targets to specify which board you are building for.

We also continue to fix issues as we come across them. For example, SPI SS was not working on PA4, as it was clashing with the hardware NSS pin. But as NSS doesn't work as we require, we've reconfigured NSS (PA4) to operate as a nomal GPIO pin even during SPI operations.

People have continued to test and port libraries, some of which are now included in the repo and some of which are available from their authors.

There are separate efforts going on to improve the support for STM32F4 boards, but there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet to bring support for F4 up to the level of F1.

For full details please refer to www.stm32duino.com

www.rogerclark.net

mbruck

Hi !

I just ordered one cheap STM32F103C8T6 board from Ebay.  LESS than 5$, hello? I couldn't resist to try.

My questions are:

- What forum is better to follow, this or www.stm32duino.com
- Supported arduiono IDE?

Regards !

Mladen

rogerClark

Jun 15, 2015, 09:03 am Last Edit: Jun 15, 2015, 09:06 am by rogerClark
@Mladen Bruck

It was getting impossible to keep track of everything in this single thread on the Arduino forum, so I setup
www.stm32duino.com and as far as I know post people who were posting to this thread are now on the new forum.

So you are much better off posting to the new forum

Re: STM32F103C8T6

So all  STM32F103C8 seem to work OK, but some are a bit better than others.  The best board is actually the Maple mini clone, not that one, but lots of people use the STM32F103C8

The only issue may be the bootloader. I cant get it to work on one of my STM32F103C8 boards - however I think the board may have an issue during manufacturing, so that the USB connects are not working correctly.

Because I know other people with the same board and the bootloader works fine.

You can load the bootloader using a Uno as a programmer, or if you have a USB to Serial adaptor its even easier (as the uno would only be acting as a rather poor USB to Serial converter.

Anyway, please register on the new forum when you get your board (or before if you want to ....)

Edit.

Yes it does work with the IDE, but you need the new version (1.6.4) (well 1.5.8 to 1.6.2 also work fine. 1.6.3 had an issue when they added new features, so that version is not supported)

You need to download the zip file (and unzip it into your sketches folder)

I did some videos about this (back when the IDE was at 1.5.8 and an update for 1.6.2 which applies to 1.6.4 onwards)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arduino+stm32

www.rogerclark.net

mcnobby

Its time for me to download 1.6.4 and get started - been looking forward to this for a while
Thanks everyone ! :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Recovered
http://www.smartshow.lighting

Go Up