Go Down

Topic: Unable to get FT232R drivers loaded under Windows 7 64bit (Read 188503 times) previous topic - next topic

evildave_666

I think this attempt is going to backfire on FTDI with the hobbyist market. People working on projects without onboard UARTs (Pro Mini, bare uCs on boards, etc.) are just going to move to another UART maker rather than deal with having to buy FTDIs sight unseen with no way to check authenticity as they have to do in many cases.

CrossRoads

I think this will encourage purchase of FTDI chips from legit companies vs counterfeit stuff from e-bay. I don't buy any ICs from ebay except WS28xx as that's the only place to get them. Digikey, Mouser, Avnet, tayda for MAX7291 even tho they might be fake - Maxim told me Tayda is not an authorized reseller.  Newark if I get desperate.
I'll have to check the FTDI modules I bought from Tinyosshop.com.
I suppose they could use Atmega8U2 chips that are programmed, a la Arduino USB/Serial
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/USBSerial

or Prolific chips, or CH403 (?) chips, or Cypress chips, or ...

Win7Pro didn't change my FTDI driver, altho Win8.1 seems to have on MrsCrossRoads' laptop.
FTDI is always gonna work tho unless Arduino screws up the IDE on us.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

evildave_666

Oct 04, 2014, 07:00 am Last Edit: Oct 04, 2014, 07:04 am by evildave_666 Reason: 1
Its not so easy in some countries. Here in Japan of the two authorized distributors listed by FTDI, one no longer seems to sell FTDI products and the other does not deal in low-quantity orders. Hence the hobbyist is left to rely on ad-hoc imported stuff, which in many cases have to be bought sight-unseen.

CrossRoads

Can be sight-unseen, but can still buy from reputable companies - Newark, Farnell, RS, Digikey - many ship globally:
http://www.digikey.com/us/en/International/global.html
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

bobcousins

I was unsure whether FTDI were doing the right thing, but I think I have changed my mind. Counterfeit chips are a big problem though often not talked about. I know that even reputable companies will go to the grey market to get stock if they need shorter lead times than the official disties, and risk picking up counterfeit parts. An example is Olimex, who were unfortunate to pick up some fakes. https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=2031.0

The problem with fakes is not just loss of revenue for IP holder, but the fakes are simply lower quality compared to genuine parts. Prolific chips were widely copied, people had problems with what they thought were Prolific chips and I think their reputation suffered because of it. I am sure FTDI don't want the same thing to happen. I'll bet a lot of comms problems people have are down to fake chips.

So while it is pretty harsh if you have boards that stop working, I think I would prefer to know I have a genuine part rather than a fake that is going to give unreliable performance now or in the future. I've tried most of my boards with FT232 and they all seem to be ok, I might think differently otherwise!
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

dutchronnie

Just to be clear, the workaround I described above is to make the driver work with the defective chips, not only FT_PROG!

I don't see the workaround.
What is exactly the workaround, i have the same issues.
I have read the postings over and over but i don't see a description of the workaround, am i missing something?

CrossRoads

Workaround fakes the VID/PID info somehow.
If you select:
Control Panel:System: Device Manager: Ports: right click on USB device:Properties: Details:Hardware IDs, good one shows this:
ftdibus\comport&vid_0403&pid_6001

Counterfeits will have 0s instead I think.

mlchuang

I has the same issues?and  Hardware ID same as USB\VID_0403&PID_0000&REV_0600
Did FT_PROG works?
Or there's another workaround better?

dutchronnie

USB\VID_0403&PID_0000&REV_0600

That is what i have to, but what is the workaround?

I have already changed the *.inf files, and replaced 6001 with 0000, but that didn't work.
Help

mickent

Thumb Up for Amazon.  They will send UPS here to pick up my 2 SainSmart Nano v3.0 boards that won't communicate.  Paid return, no questions.  I did report counterfeit FDTI devices. 
Thanks to this Forum!
Mick

evildave_666

I have a working FTDI cable now, but at this point when it breaks I will source something with a different chipset to replace it. I can't be bothered to deal with it, I'd rather spend my time working on projects rather than potentially fighting with drivers.

CrossRoads

Nothing wrong with the driver - it's the fake chips that are the problem. How do you ensure your next chipset isn't fake also? I'd suggest buying hardware from reputable sources.

evildave_666

It certainly is the driver. Up until 2.08 or so, the driver functioned just fine with the counterfeit chips. This latest wave of people with problems happened when FTDI finally pushed a version of the driver that checks for the counterfeits directly into the Windows Update autoupdate system around the start of the month. If you go back you'll see the same problems occurring around Feb this year with the manually downloadable version.

Anyhow, I'm done with FTDI. As far as I'm concerned its their responsibility to deal with the counterfeit issue. As for me, I'm voting with my feet and probably buying ch340 if my (presumably genuine since it still works) FTDI cable goes bad.

CrossRoads

So is your problem with FTDI working with Microsoft to automatically update the driver to 2.12.0 & protect their intellectual property?  I have no issue with that.
These 3 boards from  Mouser, Sparkfun, and tinyosshop.com all work with 2.12.0, 1.0.6, and Win7Pro.

Indyaner

Oct 06, 2014, 12:15 pm Last Edit: Oct 06, 2014, 04:25 pm by Indyaner Reason: 1

I have no issue with that.

I have. I fully understand that they wnat to protect their IP, and I support that (from now on that I'm aware of this). But I dont support that on my back.
I didnt knew that there were counterfeit FTDI Chips around. I'm a beginner in this field and bought some Arduinos and FTDI now bricked my Microcontroller because of this. Can they please fight their war not on my back as a simple beginner making my first stps in this field?

So now I have to throw some of my hardware away and patiently wait for anyone who brings out a *valid* Nano, Micro, Pro Micro, etc? None of the boards you posted are for any use in my POV. They are pretty bulky. So I as a user now have to write emails to every vendors asking for verification on the FTDI ID's? I have to fight their war? This is crazy. I'm just starting with all this and will make sure that I will avoid FTDI from now on whereever I'm able to if they think it is a good Idea to force their lack of delayed counterfeit enforcement on my naive tinkering shoulders. I wish they would just bite the sour apple. I have to do it too and learn from this debacle. But giving me a slap in the face by render my devices out of order too... that is something I will remember about FTDI from now on. Imagine Dolce & Gabbana walking over the beach and punching everybody in the face that wears fake D&C Sunglasses. Can they please ask where they got those glasses and punch the guy from china in the face?

I guess I need to buy some *legit* FTDI Chips and try to desolder the bad one of my units to make right what FTDI was not able to.
Man I really hate them for this step...

EDIT:
I found a fix right here:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f684/octopus-box-not-detect-1865577/#post10597099

You have to download the Driver from the link there and then manually assign first the FTDI Bus and then the FTDI Port inf files. I did this and my Arduino IDE had no problem uploading a blink sketch.

I also tried my best in this short video. I hope this will help others.
Video Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPdSKT6KdF8

Go Up