Go Down

Topic: Unable to get FT232R drivers loaded under Windows 7 64bit (Read 188556 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

The clone boards with counterfeit chips are probably counterfeit too.  I buy MIKROE483 USB/Serial adapters from Mouser, they come with real chips. I buy FTDI derivatives from tinyosshop.com, they got burned in the past with fake chips and are using real ones now.  I buy FTDI Basic's from Sparkfun, they use real chips.  Folks that buy really cheap ripoff clones from e-bay are likely getting counterfeits.
Not robust? I've never had one go bad.
I don't think anyone has a DIP version of USB/Serial adapter, so you're stuck with SMD there.
I like the MIKROE483; pretty compact, easy to add to a board and stable with connections along 2 sides, vs just 6 pins along one edge.
If CP2102 modules like these, that have DTR broken out to a pin, were available with holes vs pins and accepted USB-B Mini or Micro cables, that'd be another option.
As is, they are not readily mountable to a PCB.
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-CP2102-Module-Serial-Converter/dp/B00EQ1ZDY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413670513&sr=8-2&keywords=cp2102
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

binaryjam

I have just had this problem too.

It was working fine on windows 8.1 for the last month, then all of a sudden. Missing Drivers problem.

I got the drivers from FTDI and re-installed using the .inf files and the .EXE installer.  No difference.

I was left with a missing UART Driver.

(This Works for Me, try it at own risk.)

To fix it I got the drivers in normal format with the .INF files.  Extracted the zip.

From ControlPanel->Device Manager

Locate the missing UART driver.  Right Mouse, Update Driver, Browse Computer -> Let Me Pick->Have Disk->Select the Location of the drivers  (port.inf ) and OK.

Now you have a list of drivers to pick from.  Choose the USB Serial Converter. OK

After that Another Missing Device Will appear, or Should, if it doesnt then this isnt going to work and uninstall the driver you just picked.

Repeat the above steps and install the USB Serial driver

This should now work.  If it doesn't go an uninstall those drivers by right clicking the device and uninstall in driver manager.

MS must have done something to cause this in an update as this was fine a few weeks ago, hope this helps some of you having the same problem.

liuzengqiang

Thanks for sharing. As you said, it works for you (and some others) but not for everyone. The root cause is FTDI altered the PID of fake FTDI chips. Unless you change it back on an XP system and never use it on a newer system that gets regular updates, the FTDI driver will get installed and screw the chip over again. I bet the FTDI management must have thought the fake chips have helped them enough with increasing market share and now it's time to remove them. It's so easy to do but they waited and waited until now. Good x-mas bonus when a bunch extra orders show up.

Don't think for a moment FTDI is a saint. They could have done it way back but they decided to wait so long. They are just using you, the fake chips and the whole thing like M$ windows taking up market share by means of pirate versions. Now where is M$ windows? Everywhere. Heck I'm typing on one of them.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

CrossRoads

I bet the FTDI management must have thought the fake chips have helped them enough with increasing market share and now it's time to remove them.

More like cutting into their market share.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

shinyhare

Two nanos fully functionally now (used the manual .inf driver assignment as detailed by Indyaner) , thanks guys!

matg0d

I think most of you  guys haven't heard that on Windows 8 or newer, on the 64 bits version, driver signature is required. You cant install a driver that isn't signed by Microsoft. Only on 32bits
You get the idea. The move could be made back them, but with the new OS's, is easy for FTDI to combat fake chips.

terryking228

WHICH Windows update installs this driver?? So we can roll it back...
Anyone know??
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

MakerSimon

All,

It is really terrible that FTDI have done this, and then done it silently, if they wanted to do this they should at least put up a message when the device is installed to say it is a fake and that they won't  play with the device anymore.

If they wanted to be nice to  END USERS they could have put up a message to say you may have unwittingly purchased a device with a fake device present and we will continue. That way end users won't suffer and would probably push back on the original suppliers. Heck, they could even punt you to a site where you could purchase a driver which would work with the bad device so that they could get some money back on it.

Oh, and by the way if you remove the driver and then point it at the driver held in the Arduino IDE it all magically comes back to life.

Peter_n

Well said.
After a while we only remember that there was some kind of trouble with FTDI and we should avoid them.

PhillyNJ

You can un-brick the device with the MProg3.5 Programmer on the FTDi site. Once un-bricked, it will work again on OSX and Linux :) But if you plug it into the Windows box….BRICKED again. If you don't want to unbrick it, you can manually install the drivers on Windows and it will work.

eltee

I have. I fully understand that they wnat to protect their IP, and I support that (from now on that I'm aware of this). But I dont support that on my back.

EDIT:
I found a fix right here:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f684/octopus-box-not-detect-1865577/#post10597099

You have to download the Driver from the link there and then manually assign first the FTDI Bus and then the FTDI Port inf files. I did this and my Arduino IDE had no problem uploading a blink sketch.

I also tried my best in this short video. I hope this will help others.
Video Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPdSKT6KdF8
I perfectly agree with you.
Their war is not my war and FTDI has NO RIGHT to enter my house (with an automatic update in this case) and damage my property.
I hope someone sues the hell out of them for DELIBERATELY damaging private property, their silly disclaimer has no legal value.

From my point of view what they did is an abuse who DIRECTLY damaged me and i won't use their products in my future boards. If the chinese manufacturers will now develop their own driver i'll buy from them and forget FTDI altogether. Other hardware developers who care about their own property and the property of their users should do the same because FTDI has clearly shown they don't care. Their (FTDI) problems are not and should NOT be mine... but their silly sabotage is affecting and damaging me and i won't forgive nor forget it.

eltee

BTW, someone suggested to use CP2102 chips (http://www.silabs.com/products/interface/usbtouart/pages/usb-to-uart-bridge.aspx) from now on in place of FTDIs and i perfectly agree. It is not my duty to fight their war and frankly i don't even care (nor should i care for their problems), i won't risk to use their chips in future.

What if someone's life depends on one of the deliberately sabotaged chips? Can't even think how irresponsible FTDI has been.

BTW, it seems that the FTDI drivers have been removed from Windows Update:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/windows-update-drivers-bricking-usb-serial-chips-beloved-of-hardware-hackers/

This doesn't change the fact that FTDI from now on should be avoided in favor of different hardware vendors, i certainly will not trust'em anymore, i just can't afford to test if every single chip i use in my boards is original or not... if they have a problem with clones that's their problem and i won't let them make it mine too.

If anyone wants to add some good alternatives to FTDI chips please post'em here.

Peter_n

I was not able to write the PID in Windows 10 Preview, and I tried everything: changed old drivers, FT_PROG, MPROG and so on. So I'm going to trow away some things. FTDI should have made a simple tool that only checks if the chip is real or not. Since they don't have that, I'm not going to buy anything that has a (fake or real) FTDI chip on it.

myself248

If CP2102 modules like these, that have DTR broken out to a pin, were available with holes vs pins and accepted USB-B Mini or Micro cables, that'd be another option.
Even better: This Cypress chip is a drop-in replacement for the FT232RL (and fakes, of course), pin-compatible: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CY7C65213

It's also less than half the price. Sooo, I just ordered five of these and five genuine FTDI chips, and all my counterfeit boards are getting the fake-ftdi chips ripped off and replaced. I'll try to remember to post back in a year and let y'all know my impressions. :)

liuzengqiang

Even better: This Cypress chip is a drop-in replacement for the FT232RL (and fakes, of course), pin-compatible: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CY7C65213

It's also less than half the price. Sooo, I just ordered five of these and five genuine FTDI chips, and all my counterfeit boards are getting the fake-ftdi chips ripped off and replaced. I'll try to remember to post back in a year and let y'all know my impressions. :)
No, please post sooner. I am on the same boat. How do you remove, what tools worked/didn't work. Thank you for posting the cypress chip. A simple usb ttl chip shouldn't cost what ftdi is demanding. Now it is hurting manufacturers that have genuinely cut cost to their boards to the level of fake chip devices. Now nobody with the right mind will go for a device that is say $18 and has ftdi chip, just in case the chip is fake. I'm crossing FTDI off my list of suppliers thanks to your info.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

Go Up