Go Down

Topic: Windaq to Arduino? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

DJDevon3

Oct 09, 2014, 10:04 am Last Edit: Oct 09, 2014, 10:09 am by DJDevon3 Reason: 1
I'm very new to Arduino and C and just wondering if anyone has ever played around with Windaq or WindaqXL data logging software to output waveforms to be displayed through an Arduino TFT?  Yes it outputs to a PC laptop but if possible I'd love to get it to display on an Arduino TFT instead (to be installed in a vehicle).  I think it would be a great project and this is what I want to do with my Arduino.  Anyone have any advice on interfacing Windows data logging software through the Arduino for visual display?

WindaqLite is a free version in case you want to play with it.  I'm currently waaay out of my league with this stuff.  Heck I don't even know if it's possible. Just wondering.
http://www.dataq.com/products/windaq/lite/

Robin2

If you can explain what it does without me needing to do any research I will try to help.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Nick_Pyner

I have wondered about it myself, fleetingly, but haven't pursued it as I see Arduino as a Windaq substitute rather than a colleague.  My DI-194RS is powered by the serial cable. I guess you can power the module separately and feed the RS232 to Arduino just to test the flavour of the data. It is probably plain ASCII and can be fed to Arduino's graphic display like any other data. I think this is under or mis-using Arduino, as it can be better employed doing Windaq's job entirely, rather then being a mere graphic interface for it.

DJDevon3

Oct 09, 2014, 07:02 pm Last Edit: Oct 09, 2014, 07:04 pm by DJDevon3 Reason: 1
Windaq is a data logging and data graphing software.  You can hook up 8 inputs in the case of the DI-149 I'm looking at getting.  It measures those voltages and displays them in a graphing software.  Kind of like an oscilloscope... an 8 channel oscilloscope.  The hardware input of the DI-149 interfaces with their software through serial data to display it on a laptop running the Windaq software.

if the Arduino can do that all itself I was unaware of that.  Figured it might be nice to let the DI-149 do some of the work since it has build in voltage regulator and over voltage protection (useful for my automotive uses) so that I don't have to look into buck converters, voltage regulators, and voltage dividers.  The DI-149 is a nice intermediary for that.  Since it has it's own software too I figured why try to re-invent the wheel, why not try to capture that data and display it on a TFT mounted on the dash (eventually).  

This is for OBD-I owners that don't have access to a CAN network, it wasn't even invented yet.  This will effectively provide any pre-1996 vehicle with a cheap and easy method to pull important real-time data from their cars.  It's something that all OBD-II owners have always had.  There is a HUGE market for this.  Imagine any OBD-I owner being able to bring their car into the future and give it OBD-II style capability no matter the car make or model.  I think that's something the world sorely needs especially mechanics, technicians, shop owners... they would LOVE something like this not to mention the DIY car owners.  

Yes anyone can just run and install the DI-149 and accompanying software to achieve the same thing.  Trying to get it passed through the Arduino and onto a TFT display is what will make it a complete product and could spawn a revolution for OBD-I owners.  OBD-I enthusiasts would be knocking each other over to purchase a kit especially when all of the parts are currently available for under $100.  I know they would.  I'm talking about every single car EVER made prior to 1996.  There's millions of them still on the road.

This is my Arduino dream.  I'm jut a beginner.  It's the reason I bought an Arduino.  I'll need some help and I'm willing to learn.

DJDevon3

Oct 10, 2014, 03:08 am Last Edit: Oct 11, 2014, 08:42 am by DJDevon3 Reason: 1
I've decided to scrap the idea of using the Arduino.  I didn't even think of running a small display like they do for audio/video in cars as a full fledged windows OS display.  That's all I really needed, just a way to output the data on a small display.

ZFG_CREW26

Hey I stumbled on this, this is almost exactly what I want to do for my race car data acq and display.  Did you ever get anything built?

Go Up