Go Down

Topic: Forum issues tracker on GitHub (Read 4311 times) previous topic - next topic

Vaclav

From my unpleasant experience on this forum I would say that posting ANYTHING even resembling a bug gets you the following reactions:

1. What are you whining about when you get xxx for free?
2. Do you have it documented?
3. Post a full code and tell us what is your software for.
4. You did not put you code in proper format so I cannot be bothered to read it.
5. Your post gets moved to different forum and good luck finding it.
6. Use "blink without delay".

It is a complete waste of time to try to discuss anything more than " I want to push a button to make LED blink ".

Issues pertaining to site format and  IDE do not belong here. It should not be the job of administrators to decide which is a bug or not, they are here to police the format, not to solve ANY software issues.
The forum value is in the knowledge  of participants, not  in the keyboards of administrators.
They are not developers. Period.
Cheers Vaclav

AWOL

Nov 01, 2014, 07:57 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2014, 11:38 am by AWOL
Vaclav, we ask people to post all their code, so that we can see that they've correctly declared all the variables they reference - that they're of the correct type and are initialised. We can't see that sort of stuff from snippets.

We ask them to use code tags so that the forum software doesn't mangle things like subscripts into italics, obscuring the meaning of the code.

We ask them to "document" their problem, which is usually as simple as posting a link that their particular device or the original source of their code so that we can all be sure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Really, it is in the poster's best interest to follow the very simple posting guidelines so that they will get the help they want as quickly as possible - this simple fact is one you seem to have considerable difficulty understanding, so that's why I'm explaining it to you. Again.

We ask people what their code is for so that we can offer advice about different ways of achieving what it is they want to do.

We ask people not to cross-post, simply because it is counter-productive, and reduces the likelihood that people will offer their time in the future.

Blink without delay - the answer to many first time questions here; you should read it, work through it and thoroughly understand it, it'll improve your understanding of simple micro controller programming no end.

We ask for people not to wade in on subjects they clearly have no knowledge of, like, say, PWM control of servos (aka "voodoo electronics"), so that they don't dilute the help of those who do know what they're talking about.

I can't speak for administrators, but I'm pretty sure the moderators would agree.

Robin2

Why so much griping?

This is basically how bug tracking works in almost every other open source program.

Github appears to be working fine. And yes anybody can write to it. The purpose
is to have community participation and bug reports
I am well aware that Github is widely used. I have now said twice (at least) that I have no objection to its use by the Admins and the team.

What I do object to is the prospect that "community participation" moves from this Forum to Github - and more especially, the prospect that it will happen in both places at the same time and be an uncontrolled mess.

This Forum is the place for everyone - users, Admins and team - to discuss issues IMHO. Github should only be used as a tool for managing the implementation of changes.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

smeezekitty

The forum is too difficult to manage for admins that need to keep track of the issues in a clear
and easily managed way.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Robin2

The forum is too difficult to manage for admins that need to keep track of the issues in a clear
and easily managed way.
I agree completely. And I have no problem with them using Github for that purpose.

All I am saying is that the DISCUSSION of the issues should take place here in the Forum.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

nickgammon

I have responded to this separately because I am flabbergasted.
You aren't the only one.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

mastrolinux

Robin2 I agree with you, we should have discussion here and github just for exact tasks and easy manage of issues.

I would also have discussion here for every issue.

nickgammon

Nov 04, 2014, 10:34 pm Last Edit: Nov 04, 2014, 10:42 pm by Nick Gammon Reason: Fixed major formatting issues introduced by the forum
From my unpleasant experience on this forum I would say that posting ANYTHING even resembling a bug gets you the following reactions:

1. What are you whining about when you get xxx for free?
I don't think I have ever seen that one.

2. Do you have it documented?
Yes, tell us what the problem is. Is that unreasonable?

3. Post a full code and tell us what is your software for.
Posting snippets usually hides the real problem. For example, recently someone had left out "Serial.begin". Posting what they thought was the problem area obscured the real issue.

4. You did not put you code in proper format so I cannot be bothered to read it.
Mainly because it is unreadable if you don't use code tags. For example using something like:

Code: [Select]

foo [i] = bar [b];

... results in the rest of the code being in bold italic, and [ i ] and [ b ] being hidden from view.

5. Your post gets moved to different forum and good luck finding it.
There are redirection links. If you post a programming question under "Installations problems" of course it will be moved.

6. Use "blink without delay".
Often looking at that helps look at the problem in a different way.

It is a complete waste of time to try to discuss anything more than " I want to push a button to make LED blink ".
That's nonsense, you are just making this up Vaclav. I (and a lot of the other frequent posters) have spent a lot of time helping people with timers, interrupts, shift registers, I2C, SPI, Serial, state machines, and everything under the sun. Get the chip off your shoulder.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Go Up