Go Down

Topic: Need a list of changes as they are implemented (Read 4253 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulS

I emailed Luca Cipriani (who is mastrolinux on this forum) who responded that he preferred suggestions on the GitHub site
So that they forum administrators don't actually have to use the forum? Hmmm.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Robin2

Good to have you onboard regarding this issue Paul.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

nickgammon

Nov 08, 2014, 09:25 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 09:29 pm by Nick Gammon
I doubt that is necessary since they probably will not use some automated method of scanning threads.

In view of Luca's reply to me here I am surprised by the first part of your comment.
I'm just relaying what was in the email.

Here is his exact response:

I really prefer either
 Making one thread per suggestion? Maybe with "SUGGESTION:" in the title of each one.

Or

Posting on GitHub?

The last one is best for me but I can understand many users are already used to the forum.

So whatever the community prefer between the two options is fine.
So he prefers "either" but "the last one is best for me".

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

nickgammon

Yes, however GitHub (or any bug tracking system) is a more formal place where bugs (or suggestions) are raised. They are prioritized. They are assigned to a developer. People comment on the particular bug/suggestion giving pros and cons, and suggested fixes. They are hopefully implemented (or maybe marked "won't do") and then the implementation commit is documented.

It would be harder to glance at a forum thread and detect priorities, or who has been assigned to something, or whether it has already been completed or not. Much easier for things to slip through the cracks in the forum.

TomGeorge

Hi, a 'report to forum programmer'   like the "report to moderator' would be simple, the prioritization still has to be done by a human being.
I had to log onto gethub (sic) to leave a message about a problem with another forum?????????????
What ever reporting system is implemented it will always come down to a human sorting it out.
So KISS.......

Tom...... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

PaulS

Nov 09, 2014, 01:19 am Last Edit: Nov 09, 2014, 01:20 am by PaulS
It would be harder to glance at a forum thread and detect priorities, or who has been assigned to something, or whether it has already been completed or not. Much easier for things to slip through the cracks in the forum.
Sure. But the forum administrators SHOULD be using this forum every day, like we do, so that they get a feel for what works and what is plain stupid (like the quick reply box and TWO methods of editing a post. Why isn't ONE sufficient?).

It is the forum administrators that should be converting requests/complaints posted here to github issues.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

nickgammon

It probably would be helpful if the forum developers actually used the forum, and used it to do more than just post the occasional response. For example, trying to post code, ban users, get notifications etc.

Not using the system you are developing is a bit like the designers at Ford driving around in Chryslers. Or, the developers of Windows all using Macs.

Robin2

Yes, however GitHub (or any bug tracking system) is a more formal place where bugs (or suggestions) are raised. They are prioritized. ....
It would be harder to glance at a forum thread and detect priorities,....
I don't understand why this argument is made over and over. YES Github provides a place where the developers can manage things formally. That does NOT have to mean that it is the primary place for starting or discussing suggestions. Proposed changes should be introduced and discussed here and if they have merit someone (not an ordinary user like me) can add them to the Github list.

But the forum administrators SHOULD be using this forum every day, like we do,....
It probably would be helpful if the forum developers actually used the forum,....
Not using the system you are developing is a bit like the designers at Ford driving around in Chryslers. Or, the developers of Windows all using Macs.
I have been arguing for this (so far without success) since (I think) the previous Forum upgrade.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

smeezekitty

I don't understand why this argument is made over and over. YES Github provides a place where the developers can manage things formally. That does NOT have to mean that it is the primary place for starting or discussing suggestions. Proposed changes should be introduced and discussed here and if they have merit someone (not an ordinary user like me) can add them to the Github list.
Because that is exactly how bugs are managed in many projects large and small.

I agree the admins should spend more time on the forum so they can see the bugs themselves
but a dedicated bug tracker really is the best place to manage and discuss this stuff.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Robin2

Because that is exactly how bugs are managed in many projects large and small.
I am well aware of that and I have never objected to it.

I agree the admins should spend more time on the forum so they can see the bugs themselves
but a dedicated bug tracker really is the best place to manage and discuss this stuff.
It is the discussion on Github I object to.  Discussions about whether something should be changed and what sort of change is wanted by us, the users, should only take place here in the Forum.

Technical discussions between the developers about how to implement a change can, of course, take place on Github - I don't want or need to see them.

If the Github list is made read-only to ordinary users like me, the problem will be solved to my satisfaction.

It would also force the background team to take notice of the Forum and get them out of their ivory tower.

...R

Go Up