Go Down

Topic: Multiplex Wireless System  (Read 747 times) previous topic - next topic

UST_

Hello there,

Still a little new to Arduino, only started this past Monday. But I have a general question, I want to know if the multiplexing system I have in mind is capable of working. So to describe it, hopefully not too generally:

- I'll have two arrays of data saved onto a SD
- Once those arrays are full, pull them from the SD and send them wireless to another location
- and do this all off  battery power/source**

(**I mean with no computer to say 'hey, start and do this", I realize initially to upload and program the board you will need to, but from there on out, if it has power can the system run?)

If I posted this in the wrong section I apologize, couldn't decide if this was more a multiplexing issue (too much for system to do) or a wireless issue.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Grumpy_Mike

Sure you can do that but you only send the data one byte at a time so it matters not that it originates in an array.

UST_

Hi Grumpy_Mike,

Very sorry for replying so late, for some reason I didn't have replies synced up to my email like I thought I did, so I figured the topic got forgotten about. Thanks for replying!

When you said:

you only send the data one byte at a time so it matters not that it originates in an array
Do you mean that I will only send one location of the array at a time? Or do you just mean in general that data gets sent over WiFi one byte at a time?

Cause the only reason I wanted to put my data into arrays is so that when I send it off, it's neatly packaged. I do know that the data that is sent over won't be received like "here is an array neatly organized and ready to be analyzed", it'll be sent in packets and need to be converted back to the original "array data".

Should I approach this a different way? Or is this now a question for the wireless section of this forum?

Cheers,
UST

Grumpy_Mike

Cause the only reason I wanted to put my data into arrays is so that when I send it off, it's neatly packaged.
No there is nothing about an array in the C language that in any way packages it. It is a simple lump of memory. Only the access methods make it look like an array.

Likewise when you send an array you send it one element at a time and each element is sent one byte at a time. The sender and receiver have to agree on how these elements are deconstructed and reconstructed.

Now there are other formats for files that are standardised like the CSV comma separated variables that could be considered packaged.

Go Up