Go Down

Topic: modifications of barebone arduino (Read 8610 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

Well, the point is that there should be little difference between a UNO and your "barebones" or "breadboard" arrangement.  You provide power, reset conditioning, and a generic USB port.  Different USB hardware is entirely irrelevant to the IDE, it just expects to find a (virtual) serial port with a standard API according to the OS.

And a clock circuit.  Providing clock components when the chip is set to internal clock simply means that the circuitry to use the "clock pins" as an oscillator will not be enabled; the crystal will not oscillate but merely appear as a capacitive load on those pins - which you are probably not going to attempt to access anyway.

While there are fuse settings for different crystal excitation levels, I seem to recall that these do not distinguish between 8 and 16 MHz crystals, but rather between either of these and a 32,768 Hz watch crystal, so the chip itself has no perception of what its clock frequency is (unless it simply cannot clock at the given voltage level).  The only information the IDE has is what the bootloader tells it, which must match then the information in boards.txt including the baudrate, to perform a download.

Adey

If there is active vibration more than very low level, that can be tapped for small energy using piezos. But hey the small energy all the time X many collectors could build enough to power a low power circuit that is off most of the time.

If you have a heat differential and Peltier wafers then you may be able power even more. Consider the girl in Canada who won the science fair with a flashlight that is powered by the heat of her own small hand. That flashlight doesn't shine seconds out of a minute though the beam is weak.

Either way would need a boost converter rather than buck converter.

Do it right and you can save having a person check and change batteries regularly.

This works with regular diodes. It would work better for small taps with Schottky diodes but with strong vibration the voltage produced may be too much for those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReN_QU78pcs

I've used this circuit to flash a led with a single finger tap and brightly with a single screwdriver handle smack.  :smiley-evil: Honest, I was just testing suitability!  :smiley-twist:

It is also what powers leds in kids shoes that helps them be seen at night by car drivers when they run out in the street. Compare the energy in the steps of a small child to the energy in your steady vibration.

The power is very low per squeeze but vibration is squeezes per second. Put the disc on the vibrating surface and a mass or mount on the other side and see what 1 disc can harvest. That would be for 1 disc. A Joule Thief can boost that steady low V to higher V charging pulses.

If you have something that shakes then magnets and coils also become an option.

Instead of tape you can use big heat shrink tube to make batteries into a pack.
If you have a constant power trickle input, use a super-capacitor to store instead of batteries.
mate I am trying to get rid of more and more electronic devices..and you are just keep on adding more devices..hahahaa..no mate i dont need piezos or peltier wafers and other things you have mentioned...i just want to make a barebone chip interfaced with simple RF module..that would transmit data of the status of the machine to the reciever. Thats all pretty much..On the hardware part I have pretty much done.just now need to select the best battery power source..  The large chunk of project actually comes in software part(power saving modes for battery  to last longest)  so that barebone life can atleast last for 5months. So i want to start the software part as soon as possbile...I guess I would just have to purchase a battery pack..

GoForSmoke

Nov 22, 2014, 04:09 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014, 04:11 pm by GoForSmoke
No problem. Just letting you know that you have options to run for years instead of months.

I would love to put many piezos in rubber car motor mounts as see what that could do.

The form of piezo in a spark lighter generates 1500V directly on a very hard snap.
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Adey

no problems dude..thanks a lot for different ideas..i beleive my chip can also run for years..if i can manage to use power saving methods in my code effectively...I will start another post..for power saving techniques because I believe Nick Gammon had another forum for power saving techniques software part...

Go Up