Go Down

Topic: $$$$ for some code and wiring assistance! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Murphy1969

Nov 23, 2014, 11:17 am Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014, 11:18 am by Murphy1969
I recently purchased an Iron Man Costume that has extensive electronics throughout the suit. Specifically, it has:

1) Servo Controlled Faceplate with LED eyes; - 1 servo triggered by switch
2) Servo Controlled Wing Flaps (on back of suit) - 6 servos triggered by single switch
3) Arc Reactor (lit by LEDs)
4) Hand Repulsors (lit by LEDS) that also have a switch that triggers a sound effect when pressed
5) Forearm Missile Launchers (powered by a single servo in each arm triggered by single switch on each arm)
6) Lasers on Hand (one on each hand triggered by individual switches)
7) LEDS under torso section for aesthetics.

If you want to see the suit in action for the purposes of seeing the electronics take a look at https://buyfullbodyarmors.com/store.html/

So here's the thing - the electronics in this bad boy are insane and overly complicated.  It has about 8 mini circuit boards and a mess of wires that are barely intelligible.  The circuit boards have proven to be glitchy and it seems logical that an arduino would be able to make this whole setup simpler.

What I would like to do is simplify the whole setup and reduce the number of switches.

I have attached a schematic of what switches do what.

I would like to work with someone to help me plan out a new configuration for the suit and then help me with the wiring and coding.  I would really like to move to a scenario where the 4 buttons on the hands control everything:

Button 1 Left Hand: Faceplate and LED lights on Helmet
Button 2 Left Hand: Missile Launcher and Hand Lasers (Left Arm)
Button 3 Right Hand: Wing Flaps Open and Close
Button 4: Right Hand: Missile Launcher and Hand Lasers (Right Arm)

All of the hardware is installed in the suit and the buttons and wiring are in place - I just need someone to help me figure out the wiring configuration to the power sources, servos, buttons, etc.  Then, of course, some programming.

I am willing to pay for some advice although I don't have a lot of cash to burn on this.  If you are interested and can give me a ballpark fee, I would be pleased to receive your message and we can discuss terms.

Murphy1969

scswift

What you need is one of Pololu's Maestro servo controllers:
http://www.pololu.com/category/12/rc-servo-controllers

You can write scripts that move the servos in predefined manners and trigger them with a sensor or switch.  I'm sure there's a way to make them control leds and things as well.

You can of course do all this with an Arduino and a suitable servo module, but these controllers make this sort of thing a whole lot simpler.

Go Up