Go Down

Topic: Soldering Temp / Fixing Trace (Read 10544 times) previous topic - next topic

ghlawrence2000

Dec 03, 2014, 02:43 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2014, 03:00 pm by ghlawrence2000
Flawed? You are on something or work for the government right?

White asbestos tiles are still by far the best heat deflection/protection used in welding applications. Leaded fuel if you can find it is still superior for the extra octane available.

Go spread your propaganda to somebody that is gullible and only ever had experience of these new 'nasties' free versions of whatever crap you would like to quote! I am old enough to have experienced the original products myself, oh, car brake pads, unless you won the lottery and can afford carbon fibre brakes, cheaper pads were better with some good old asbestos in them too.....

Nobody is disputing these modern eco friendly replicas do what they say on the tin (almost), but the fact is the 100% full fat original cholesterol version was better!! Toluene and xylene based paints used to smell nicer and dried faster than the new versions, creosote mixed with carcinogenic used engine oil protected wooden fences for decades. I am amazed I am still living with all of those 'dangerous' substances I was born having access to that now are still available (for a price) if you know where to look! But for those of us that have been using leaded solder all our lives, lead-free is a poor substitute, and I simply don't care how much you try to persuade me I am imagining it!

This argument has no ending, those of us that know what we are talking about will continue to use lead, those of you that believe what you are told, do what you like! To quote the meerkat, simples.

Regards,

Graham
UTFT_SdRaw now included in library manager!! ;) High speed image drawing from SD card to UTFT displays for Mega & DUE.
UTFT_GHL - a VASTLY upgraded version of UTFT_CTE. Coming soon to a TFT near you! 8) Shipping April 1 2016!

nilton61

Remind me why the dinosaurs went extinct... lack of adaptation i think it was.
But the situation is in fact worse now, with more than 300 species going extinct each year (thats between 1000 and 1000 times the normal rate). Partly because of these substances, but mostly because of people opposing change.
All these arguments serve only one single purpose and that is resisting adaptation. And where that leads history tells us clearly, and that without exceptions.

ghlawrence2000

Dec 03, 2014, 03:05 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2014, 03:10 pm by ghlawrence2000
Oh, ok, it has nothing to do with humans destroying their habitat and hunting them? Tell me? Do we now have eco friendly meteorites? I believe the dinosaurs were wiped out before they discovered lead free solder ;)? Go sprout your waffle to somebody that wants to listen.

G
UTFT_SdRaw now included in library manager!! ;) High speed image drawing from SD card to UTFT displays for Mega & DUE.
UTFT_GHL - a VASTLY upgraded version of UTFT_CTE. Coming soon to a TFT near you! 8) Shipping April 1 2016!

nilton61

It has everything to with humans destroying the planet. By humans impinging habitats, by humans using the substances mentioned, by humans polluting, by humans exploiting depleting all sorts of resources. One of these does not excuse the other and saying one is worse or more important is just stupid. All of these have to be dealt with. And that pretty fast.
But the worst thing by far is people opposing change when something can be done. There are simply no reasons for that except laziness, greed and stupidity.

ghlawrence2000

Ad infinitum. Get over it. I didn't invent or perpetrate the industrial revolution, I just happened to be born at a time when the world of electronics was in full swing and included proper solder!

Cheers,

Graham

nilton61

And now is another time. And its also time to address the issues created then. Get used to it

ghlawrence2000

Banning the internal combustion and jet engines, burning of fossil fuels and mandating of contraception in Asia would reduce the impact on valuable resources more than me using a bit of lead in my solder.

I would prefer you went and implemented world peace and those other couple of points I mentioned before getting on your soap box and start telling me what I can and can't do in my own home in my own time! Give me a call when you have sorted those few points I mentioned then perhaps we can deal with this whole ecological ticking bomb that is my preference for leaded solder? ;)  :P  8)

Regards

Graham,

PS, by the way, you know santa is not real?

nilton61

I cannot ban ICE's fossil fuels or a lot lot of other things (except indirectly by arguing and influencing). But that doesn't mean i can't do anything. Using lead free solder is something i can do among other things. And lead free solder works, no question about that. But it demands that you relearn and revise your practices. If that is such a hard thing to do i feel sorry.

ghlawrence2000

You arrogant little sh*t. In my lifetime I have thus far used 2kg of 60/40 tin lead solder, I have just ordered another 500g, so my total lead footprint for work and hobby so far is 2.5kg. I suspect I will not need to buy any more, or if I do, another 500g at the most, so that would be an expected maximum of 3kg of solder in my whole life!

40% of 3kg is 1.2kg ok?

You might wish to cast a casual eye over global usage over the past few years since rohs was introduced. Look how well your argument stands up!! What impact does my hobby have? And if I want to continue using lead, I will be f***ed if you are telling me what I should and should not do. I have tried lead free solder, it is CRAP, you do what you like!! Now go and hug a different tree on a different forum.

Regards,

Graham

polymorph

Regarding leaded solder: Don't stick your fingers in your mouth, don't chew the solder. Wash your hands before eating and you'll be fine.

Regarding lead-free solder: The flux is actually a lot more active and as such, is a lot more of an irritant to your lungs and mucus membranes. And probably worse for you than the rosin flux (essentially pine resin) used in leaded solder.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

KenF

I had to laugh at Heathrow airport.  I stepped outside to have a ciggy.  Standing there just outside the terminal building was a queue of black taxi cabs all with their engines running.  The air was thick with burned deisel, yet as I sparked up, some jobsworth comes over and says.  "Sorry sir this is a no smoking area" :)

ghlawrence2000

Yes. And all those diesel particulates that are responsible for the huge rise in asthma and other respiratory problems that have occurred since I was little. I have breathed in no end of leaded solder flux fumes, and I smoked for 25+ years(stopped 18 months ago ;) ), I don't have asthma. Diesel engines pumping out TONS of CO and other crap is fine, but I can't state my preference for leaded solder? YEAH RIGHT.

Regards,

Graham

polymorph

One of the articles said that 80% of lead usage is in batteries.

FYI, an RoHS sticker does -not- mean no lead in a product. It simply means that it abides by the RoHS rules.

Illuminating presentation on the danger of flux smoke:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg248.pdf

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

Foggiest

Godda love how the eco-friendly lead-free flag is being waved, despite several times posting that lead free causes more pollution.

Progress is good when it is led by engineers, scientist, mathematicians etc.
Progress for the sake of blindly stumbling politicians following psuedo science and fashions, not so good.

Foggiest

Here's a numberone might pluck from the Air.
Back in the day, there was a mighty weapons system, of which 25% of was stricken with tin whiskers from...
You guessed it, lead free solder.

Go Up