Go Down

Topic: Soldering Temp / Fixing Trace (Read 10532 times) previous topic - next topic

ghlawrence2000

I know it is not especially healthy, but I figured since I actively chose to smoke cigarettes all those years, I had probably breathed worse then a bit of solder smoke occasionally  :smiley-razz: not to mention eco-friendly diesel fumes, you picks your poison as they say.

Graham
UTFT_SdRaw now included in library manager!! ;) High speed image drawing from SD card to UTFT displays for Mega & DUE.
UTFT_GHL - a VASTLY upgraded version of UTFT_CTE. Coming soon to a TFT near you! 8) Shipping April 1 2016!

ghlawrence2000

Here's a numberone might pluck from the Air.
Back in the day, there was a mighty weapons system, of which 25% of was stricken with tin whiskers from...
You guessed it, lead free solder.
THAT is why I have been unable to sleep recently?? Thank you foggiest!!  :smiley-wink:

Who would have thought an innocent question about poor soldering would meander so far along the save the planet path?

Graham
UTFT_SdRaw now included in library manager!! ;) High speed image drawing from SD card to UTFT displays for Mega & DUE.
UTFT_GHL - a VASTLY upgraded version of UTFT_CTE. Coming soon to a TFT near you! 8) Shipping April 1 2016!

polymorph

I think solder smoke (actually, rosin vapor) is probably more immediately bad for you that tobacco smoke.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

Foggiest

THAT is why I have been unable to sleep recently?? Thank you foggiest!!  :smiley-wink:

Who would have thought an innocent question about poor soldering would meander so far along the save the planet path?

Graham
Haha, glad to help ;)

ghlawrence2000

I think solder smoke (actually, rosin vapor) is probably more immediately bad for you that tobacco smoke.
Yes, seriously, I am not making light of this issue. I am aware of the risks of rosin fumes, but it is important to mention a balanced argument in this thread for future reference and people that maybe not aware of the health risks!

Graham

Foggiest

Rosin smells so nice though... arggggggg *coughs* :P

KenF

TOTALLY!  I used to love the smell of creosote too, but you just cant get it now :(

ghlawrence2000

Dec 04, 2014, 12:59 am Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014, 01:04 am by ghlawrence2000

TOTALLY!  I used to love the smell of creosote too, but you just cant get it now :(
Professional contractors can still buy creosote, it is only us untrained hicks that are no longer allowed to buy it. It was one of the items I was referring to earlier when I said these things are still available(at a price).
The use of creosote as a wood preservative has been reviewed under the Biocidal Products Directive and the following inclusion decision has been taken link to external website. From 01 May 2013 wood preservatives containing creosote will need to be authorised for use in the EU. In the meantime national legislation will continue to apply, and creosote wood preservative products will continue to need approval under the Control of Pesticides Regulations (COPR) before they can be advertised, sold, supplied, stored or used in the UK.

Under COPR creosote containing products are approved for use in the UK by professionals as part of their work.
Where as it used to cost about £0.50/l it is now £2+/l. http://www.creosotesales.co.uk/products-page/
Was that the greed nilton referred to?
But the worst thing by far is people opposing change when something can be done. There are simply no reasons for that except laziness, greed and stupidity.
This is EXACTLY the same as what I was saying about my use of leaded solder, my impact on the environment in my entire life is likely to be far less than 2kg. How much creosote does one think that me as 1 single private individual might have used in my life if the choice was still available, compared with all professional tradespeople? Insignificant! Another success for team nilton.

It is only propaganda spread to the unsuspecting that know no different when they are told that products are dangerous and have been 'replaced' with eco alternatives. Sense and sensiblity and personal protective equipment wins over legislation every time in my opinion.

Viva la revolution! :smiley-cool:

Graham

Go Up