Random audio Mp3

:smiley: Hi all.
I'm trying to find out if it's possible to have a zero shuffle for an mp3 project i'm working on.
I have different .mp3 files [sound bytes] which I want to play but I don't want the silent gap between the shuffle of the files. I would also like to be able to play them in random.

Any help will be great.

Thanks

I've never made an MP3 player, so I'm not sure... And, I'm not sure why you are getting a delay.

There is usually a few milliseconds of silence added when you encode to MP3 and that leaves short gaps between tracks (if you don't deal with it at playback time), but I assume that's not the issue.

If the shuffling is taking-up time between tracks, you should be able to "shuffle" the tracks in advance. Just set-up a random play sequence when you 1st start. Or, you may be able to shuffle or select the next random track while a track is playing (I'm pretty the MP3 shield is doing all of the "work" so you should be able to do some things in the background while a track is playing.)

Try this module

seems very responsive to serial commands to start the next song.

I believe this is the first (and perhaps still the only) fully software-based MP3 decoding library for the Arduino environment. It's mostly based on the Real Networks Helix MP3 code. With all the decoding done entirely with software in the library, in theory you could control the timing precisely.