Go Down

Topic: BASIC ARDUINO HARDWARE HELP (Read 5591 times) previous topic - next topic

polymorph

Specifically I have a 8 channel relay module, I connect 8 LED's to it with a common external power supply, I connect it to Mega and ... wow it works (thanks KOzO001) . I now connect a Mega Sensor Shield to the Mega with the 8 channel relay with ext. power and... It doesn't work! Note: Sketch's used, size and type of power is irrelevant to this, It worked as wired, only modification is adding the shield now it doesn't. 
I think your problem is likely that every shield is designed without any other shields in mind, and so any two shields are likely to be trying to use at least some of the same pins.

Someone designing a shield can't know what other shields you are going to use, so they can't each use different pins.

This is one of the reasons why I tend to use protoboards instead of shields.

You seem to be spoiling for a fight.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

raschemmel

This is one of the reasons why I tend to use protoboards instead of shields. 
Oh yeah ? That's the reason I use breakout boards instead of shields.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

polymorph

6 of one...

In general, I favor Arduinos like the Nano because I can plug it into a protoboard. The breakout boards are great.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

raschemmel

Dec 19, 2014, 05:15 am Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014, 05:28 am by raschemmel
My favorite is the Pro-Mini because they are so cheap but I have to use an FTDI BASIC . Other than that
they have the same breadboard friendly feature. I haven't tried a Nano yet but I'm sure I would like it.
Then of course for simple projects and compactness the ATtiny85 is the ticket. The ATmega328 with
Optiboot Bootloader for $5 is another winner if you don't mind using the FTDI BASIC for loading sketches.
I would love to find a way to build a project that uses multi-processors (one for each function) but I can't
figure out how to combine them.

This is pretty cool:
BT-L45
and
this...

but this one is the simplest to construct because the structure is so simple
spider
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

MorganS

Did somebody say there is a fight?
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

raschemmel

This comment from Polymorph was directed toward the OP:

You seem to be spoiling for a fight.

RobSmith

I loved this thread (to date, of course). Yes, someone is spoiling for a fight, and has a lot of patience for typing and debating. I hope he will take the time to learn the basics and solve the issues he is grappling with. Good luck to you, sir.

And that's where I am today - needing the basics. Thanks to you members for all the patient replies - I've learned a lot just in this one thread! And thanks, mrburnette, for the following:
This is the E=IR stuff.  This means using a LED and current limiting resistor and power source with no microcontroller!  Did you know that you need to take the source voltage and subtract the voltage-drop of the LED before calculating the value of the series resistor?  You must know this as it is fundamental.
This is a great example of something I didn't know I didn't know! I'll be starting right there this weekend.

I came to Arduino because I wanted to reprogram the eeprom in a little LED message fan I picked up at a trade show. It's opening up a world of adventure for me.

<insert funny/pithy quote here>

dave-in-nj

As for a BASIC (emphasis) beginners section on the forum, I guess General Electronics is not the section for questions specific to Arduino Hardware, responders just don't consider it a "general electronics" item.  
it is the PERFECT PLACE.  Unfortunately, you did not ask about general electronics ITEMS.  you asked for an ALTERNATE ROUTE to make things WITHOUT understanding what the names of the parts are, without understanding their FUNCTIONS and without learning anything about them.
on THIS planet, you have to go through these steps.  CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING does not occur by osmosis. 
if you want, buy a FULL KIT it comes with PRE-MADE boards that you plug in, and it comes with the programs that do something with those boards.
for instance, there is a light sensor.  you plug it in, load the program and then shine a flashlight towards or away from the sensor and watch the reading go high or low.
then you connect another board that has an LED, up-load that program and now when you bring the light towards the sensor, the program makes the LED get brighter or dimmer in relation to how much light the sensor 'sees'
CHANGE a FEW lines of CODE in the PROGRAM and YOU can MAKE the LED go from bright TO dim as the sensor goes FROM dim TO light.
the kit has 30 or so boards, many do a similar thing, but in a different way,  (think pencil / pen/ chalk / marker ) 
for INSTANCE, and LED can shine OUT as a light.  it can also RECEIVE light and be used as a light SENSOR.  use one that shines INTO another one, and you can use light to SEND a SIGNAL FROM one circuit INTO another so that there is no PHYSICAL electrical connection.  This is an ISOLATOR that DECOUPLES two power supplies so that they do not effect each other.
There are TWO kits 
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoStarterKit  will have a lot of parts you want.
and also the module kit that I spoke about earlier
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-modules-Arduino-Mega2560-Raspberry/dp/B00CBDUD60/ref=pd_sim_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y1WVMGW9JQ62KPAREBA
I would advise that you buy a couple UNO boards from e-bay because they are low cost there and you will probably break one or two in your learning.
the reason for the UNO is because you can buy SHIELDS.
SHIELDS is a really sloppy  term, it means anything you can say or write and add the word Arduino, such as a "car review mirror shield used when holding an ARDUINO"  or "cute Hello Kitty top SHIELD for your sister while you use an Arduino"  but the one you want will look like an UNO board and will plug in to the UNO board.  the ones you need to watch out for is a "LED SHIELD for arduino, a bag of 100 loose LED's that you can solder onto a circuit board so you can use it with an Arduino"
however, a SHIELD that PLUGS into an UNO is the type you want.
I would also offer that a NANO,  again, be careful that you get an actual NANO, many e-bay listings are  "official Arduino NANO boards can be placed next to THIS pro-mini board that does not have all the parts of an OFFICIAL ARDUINO  NANO board"
the NANO is 97% of the UNO, but is smaller and can fit in places that UNO cannot.

Go Up