Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno Error- Code Won't Upload (Read 4631 times) previous topic - next topic

invaderzimm

Hi, I just got an Arduino Uno. I downloaded the latest IDE for Mac OS X, plugged in my arduino, green light turns on. I then attempt to upload the blink program (after selecting port and device) but I get this error

avrdude: arduino_read_sig_bytes(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x1c
avrdude: error reading signature data for part "ATMEGA328P", rc=-3
avrdude: error reading signature data, rc=-1
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xe0

ChilliTronix

Post a picture of your board or post a link to where it was from. This allows us to double check the nature of the board.

invaderzimm

http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Starter-Official-170-page-Projects/dp/B009UKZV0A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419546922&sr=8-2&keywords=arduino

the picture of the board is exactly how mine looks. occasionally, when i reset the board, it says 'device not in sync' but almost all the time it reads the error above

AJITnayak

I think you using differnt signature.

Please check IC name atmega328p-pu or atmega328 pu

0x1e 0x95 0x0F" (this is the ATmega328P signature)

0x1e 0x95 0x14" (this is the ATmega328 signature)

Just open

In your Arduino folder, find the subfolder: ..\hardware\tools\avr\etc

Open the file avrdude.conf in a text editor
search for signature top replace with new one

depend on controller change signature.
AMPS

invaderzimm

That didn't work. Does it make any difference that I'm using OS X Yosemite, may the IDE not be compatle?

AJITnayak

That didn't work. Does it make any difference that I'm using OS X Yosemite, may the IDE not be compatle?
What does it mean??? To whos answer pointing to. Always use @ tag to present your comments
AMPS

invaderzimm

@AMPS-N , I tried replacing the code with the one you said and I still get the error:

avrdude: arduino_read_sig_bytes(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x1c
avrdude: error reading signature data for part "ATmega328P", rc=-3
avrdude: error reading signature data, rc=-1
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xe0
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

AJITnayak

Dec 26, 2014, 07:53 am Last Edit: Dec 26, 2014, 08:00 am by AMPS-N
Above error is definitely signature error.

Can you tell me what IC name on arduino you are using.Can you share me where you changed the signature . put snap shots

signature should be changed here
AMPS

ChilliTronix

As @roxanne1982cxk says, post a picture of your actual board. It sounds like it has the wrong chip in it. Or alternatively tell us what exactly is written on the large 28 pin IC.

invaderzimm

@roxanne1982cxk
Here is a pic of the board: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124149965@N02/15925822507/

@AMPS-N
Here is a pic of where I changed the code: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124149965@N02/15924282390/in/photostream/

The IC says "ATMEGA328P-PU"

AJITnayak

Can you replace the avrdude file.

I have shared here. store your old avrdude in other locataion paste current avrdude file in config file.

path will look like this

D:\arduino-1.0.1\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\tools\avr\etc
AMPS

invaderzimm

@AMPS-N I get this error now:

avrdude: parallel port access not available in this configuration
avrdude: error at /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf:727: programmer type not specified

However, instead of turning orange, it also now says "Done Uploading" but the LED does not blink.

ChilliTronix

So it now appears to be communicating to the Arduino but you can't get the blink sketch to work?

invaderzimm

@chillitronix, yea I guess but how do I fix this. Is this a code issue of a hardware issue. Should I take the board back?

AJITnayak

Dec 29, 2014, 06:05 am Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014, 06:11 am by AMPS-N
Is you board is customised or newly one from geninue arduino website.

If customized just check the value of capacitor & crystal oscillator being used .

value of c3,c2 must 22pf, oscilator 16MHz,

can you share screen shot of error & board you using for this application

I have attached 2 modified file here.
unzip the avrdude in folder
D:\arduino-1.0.1\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\tools\avr\etc
unzip boards in below folder
D:\arduino-1.0.1\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\arduino
try to upload code. If error put screen shot
AMPS

Go Up