Go Down

Topic: Serial Input Basics (Read 357727 times) previous topic - next topic

michinyon

No,  that's a poor assessment.

Putting things into character arrays and casting them to other types requires very little time and resources compared to actually processing the serial communications.

It is difficult for humans to grasp the difference in scale between milliseconds and microseconds.

ShapeShifter

While not using blocking methods keeps the line "open", collecting everything in character arrays and casting them to other types seems more taxing on the Arduino
The non-blocking calls are not intended to keep the line "open" but rather to make the maximum number of processing cycles available for other processing.

If you use blocking calls to read the serial data (for example readStringUntil()), the processor will be spending all it's time servicing the serial port. It will be spending most of its time just looping around waiting for data, burning up precious processor cycles for no benefit.

By using the non-blocking calls, those wasted cycles are available to your code to be doing something useful, allowing additional processing to be performed. So, in reality, it's the blocking calls that are taxing the Arduino with extra serial port processing, leaving less time for you to do other things.

Yes, a little bit mire processing is being done on the actual serial data. But this pales in comparison to the amount of processing that is wasted by the traditional blocking serial processing methods.

LMI1

This is an usefull and important discussion.

One thing which which confused me when beginning Arduino, was Serial.print(78, HEX) BIN, OCT and so on. The data which goes via serial is bytes and it is programmers job to interprete those bytes. C is confusing enough itself.

Robin2

Jun 09, 2015, 03:26 pm Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015, 03:29 pm by Robin2
This is an usefull and important discussion.
Thank you for your kind words

One thing which which confused me when beginning Arduino, was Serial.print(78, HEX) BIN, OCT and so on. The data which goes via serial is bytes and it is programmers job to interprete those bytes. C is confusing enough itself.
I don't understand what, specifically, you are having a problem with or how you think it may be improved, or better explained. Perhaps you can provide a short program as an example.

I would not normally use HEX, BIN or OCT when sending data to/from a PC. But they can be useful for displaying data in the Serial Monitor.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ShapeShifter

Yes, the data is a series of bytes. However, many serial port implementations put special meaning on certain byte values, and may even do translations of some of those values (for example, a CR may become LF, or LF may become CR and LF.) Also, some control characters can be interpreted by the code on certain serial inputs, for example there may be line editing features where a backspace deletes a character, and control-X clears the input buffer.

If you have absolute control over the serial port drivers and know that absolutely no special meaning or translation is performed on any of the byte values, then you can go ahead and send the raw byte values over the link. But in many cases it can be not worth the risk.

The solution is to make sure that none of those special byte values are used in the communications stream, and the easiest way to do that is to convert the raw binary bytes into text representations. Using HEX is an efficient way to do so as it uses less characters to transfer data than decimal, octal, or binary, it divides easily into all of the commonly used data element sizes, and there are built in conversion mechanisms in most languages to format and parse hex values. Base64 is an even more compact way to encode binary data into safe printable values, but there aren't the built-in mechanisms in place to generate or decode such data streams.

Yes, hexadecimal notation is a little strange to grasp at first. But it's a valuable skill to learn. Depending on what you're doing with the data, hexadecimal can actually make the math easier! For example, if you want to define a particular bit pattern, with experience it's actually easier to figure out the value in hex than it is in decimal. For example, if you want to set the low bit of a byte, it's 0x1. If you want to set the low bit of the second byte of a word, it's 0x100. If you want to set the low bit of the high byte of a long word, it's 0x1000000. The corresponding decimal values are 1, 256, and 16777216. (I had to get out a calculator to figure out that last value, while all of the hexadecimal values I could do without thinking about it.)

There is a reason for the different number bases (although the reasons for octal are far fewer these days, but it made a lot of sense for older 12 bit computers.) It's worth taking the time to learn them, as they really can make your life easier in many situations - especially when dealing with low level hardware, which is so common in embedded electronics like Arduino projects.

LMI1

To Robin2:
The Serial.print and Serial. write are confusing, because it is not clear what is actually sent. There should be only one instruction which sends data exactly as it is.

To ShapeShifter: I have very little to add. A sure way to problems is to mix data and code. Serial bus itself does not help there. But there are protocols for transferring raw binary data. I think Xmodem or Kermit or something similar exists for Arduino.

For displaying numbers, libraries or functions translating variables like integers to Ascii/Unicode/ascii.hex, and so on, are important. But when those are combined with serial data it just confuses. Serial.print(78, HEX) and so on, were probably made for absolutely beginners, but I think they were more of a problem.

Robin2

To Robin2:
The Serial.print and Serial. write are confusing, because it is not clear what is actually sent.
Thankfully I had nothing to do with that  :)

I suspect part of the problem is your own lack of familiarity with data formats. There are times when Serial.print() is appropriate and times when Serial.write() is necessary.

Have a look at a table of Ascii codes and the difference may become clearer. Each character is represented by an Ascii code (for example 'M' is 77 decimal) but not all of the 256 possible byte values have printable characters associated with them - especially those from 128 to 255.

DEC, HEX, BIN and OCT are just different ways of presenting the same data.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Dave_vo

Thank goodness Google finds this post early.

I really appreciate the effort to explain these functions.

Now I just have to work out how to get Excel to read and write to the comm port effortlessly (using default Win7 tools). Wish me luck.

Thanks. Dave

Robin2

Now I just have to work out how to get Excel to read and write to the comm port effortlessly (using default Win7 tools). Wish me luck.

Thank you for your kind words.

I don't use Windows myself but you will find lots of info in the Forum section on Interfacing w/Software on the Computer

...R

Coding Badly

Now I just have to work out how to get Excel to read and write to the comm port effortlessly (using default Win7 tools).
https://www.google.com/search?q=gobetwino+excel

Dave_vo

https://www.google.com/search?q=gobetwino+excel

OK and thank you for the link. - I could not find it so I might post a complimentary post on Gobetwtino linking this thread.

chameeradp

Does the Serial.Available function works fine with Uno board.Because example said it Only works with Arduino Mega

Robin2

Jul 09, 2015, 05:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 09, 2015, 05:22 pm by Robin2
Does the Serial.Available function works fine with Uno board.Because example said it Only works with Arduino Mega
It works with any Arduino.

Please post a link to the Post where it says it only works with the Mega? - if I have made an error or if my language is not clear I will correct it.

...R

ShapeShifter

The Serial.Available() reference says this:

Syntax

Serial.available()

Arduino Mega only:
Serial1.available()
Serial2.available()
Serial3.available()
It's saying that Serial1, Serial2, and Serial3 is only available on the Arduino Mega (It's the only board that has the three additional serial ports.)

But Serial (no number after it) is available (no pun intended! ;) ) is on all Arduinos.

Robin2

Thanks @Shapeshifter - that may well be the source of confusion.

@chameeradp, if the confusion does arise within something I have written please let us know where it is.

...R

Go Up