Where do I begin

I have dealt with some rough software but this is the worst. I was given a Make:it robotics starter kit for Christmas only to find out you had to have Arduino Uno r3 to use it. So I purchased it today and I am lost. when I plug it into the USB the pwr light comes on the board, but windows does not see it. So I can't get to the update driver because I can't get windows to even see the USB device. Can someone please clarify how to get this installed and get a program onto this robot so it is not a paper weight anymore. Thank You in advance.

Copied from a post I made in a topic 3 down from this one:

I googled "Arduino getting started" and got loads starting with this, and for Windows users this, then there is this guide here.

Have you heard of google? It's a search engine for finding things. They are new, the first one I came across was in 1995.

To the not so rude members of the forum, I did manage to get my robot working. But I don't know if I could do it again. I am not used to working with such rough software. I mainly use Microsoft products. but I did eventually get the file downloaded into the correct folder, and was able to run it. What confused me was all the talk about drivers and it seems that all the while I had the correct driver. I don't know why the USB device would show up in the com LPT area, All I had to do was tell it com 4, where it defaulted to COM 1. I am used to USB devices installing themselves. Well at least I am on the right track and once I get my robot working correctly on the line program I will experiment with other newer programs. Thank You for all your help.

I am not used to working with such rough software. I mainly use Microsoft products

Must. . . . resist . . . obvious. . . :smiley:

@Kid347, You arrived, were rude about the Arduino environment, ignored posts you would have seen before you posted which would have answered your questions and expect what exactly?

You are playing with a technical product that requires some thought and reading. Learn how to do this.

Arriving and being rude invites a terse response, especially as you could have found the answers yourself had you looked a couple of posts down.

The other thing is that Arduinos are fundamentally not USB devices but serial devices with USB to serial converters as you have discovered.

My intent was not to be rude, only stating that the setup was a bit rough around the edges. I am a Microsoft MCP and it was very frustrating that I was trying to update a driver that did not even need to be updated. And that the USB device is showing up as a serial com port. I am over it now and hope to move forward and put the setup behind me and enjoy the product that seems to be a great learning experience and fun. I was very frustrated with the setup and did not take kindly to the sarcasm, but all is good now. sorry if I offended anyone. And by the way ChiliTranix your links are very helpful.

Kid347:
My intent was not to be rude, only stating that the setup was a bit rough around the edges. I am a Microsoft MCP and it was very frustrating that I was trying to update a driver that did not even need to be updated. And that the USB device is showing up as a serial com port. I am over it now and hope to move forward and put the setup behind me and enjoy the product that seems to be a great learning experience and fun. I was very frustrated with the setup and did not take kindly to the sarcasm, but all is good now. sorry if I offended anyone. And by the way ChiliTranix your links are very helpful.

I am Microsoft certified as well. The software just installed for me.

I have seen much rougher bits of software and much harder to install bits of hardware.