Go Down

Topic: TIME MACHINE PROJECT (Read 3718 times) previous topic - next topic

RobNiosi

I am an artist. I have been working on constructing a replica of the Time Machine from the 1960 movie. My project is coming to an end as I am in the last stages of construction. I have purchased Arduino products which I plan to utilize to animate and automate my Time Machine. My project has been featured in national magazine articles and television news and has become the subject of a feature documentary film entitled "How To Build A Time Machine". The film follows the process of construction and we will soon be filming my working with the Arduino components to get motors and lights and a video projector to coordinate with the operation of the Machine.
   My expertise lies in mechanics and not in electronics or computers. I am looking to find someone in the New York area (within let's say 75 miles) who has a very good working knowledge of Arduino application and would be interested in contributing as a consultant to the Time Machine project.  They would also be on camera, in the feature film. If you are camera shy, we can avoid that part.
This is a teaser trailer for the film…
https://vimeo.com/94198854

HazardsMind

What part of New York, I live in Queens which is about 20 minutes away from Manhattan. I also have a 9-5 job too, will that be an issue?
My GitHub:
https://github.com/AndrewMascolo?tab=repositories

dave-in-nj

Man, I wish I lived closer,  I would help just to be able to make a few parts on that lathe !

nice trailer !

Shpaget

Jan 06, 2015, 08:04 am Last Edit: Jan 06, 2015, 02:11 pm by Shpaget
That really is a nice lathe.
I'm on the wrong side of the pond.

dave-in-nj

I am surprised as the few responses.

what is it you need or want ?

I am fairly confident even the best of us could not pluck Rod Taylor out of 1960 to have him give you pointers on how to build the machine.  although a rapidly melting candle with a clock spinning would be a cool trick.

If you are looking for some help with getting lights to work and small parts to spin, let us know.   we might be able to help with some of the parts to make you get the electronics bits done.

RobNiosi

Thanks for your interest. There are a number of functions I need to achieve. One would sit in the Machine then flip a toggle switch which would power up the Machine. Some parts operate on 110VAC some on 12VDC and some 6VDC. I have the 12v supply and the motor which spins the dish. As the Machine powers up, a pocket video protector (12vdc) switches on . It is used the project the changing dated in a gauge on the control console in front of the traveler. Unfortunately, when the video first turns on, it projects a white screen with the word "Brookstone" across it. This changes after about 15 seconds to the input source image (the month, day and year) which will be changing while the Machine is traveling. I have a small motorized shutter connect to the video projector to block the image from reaching the screen. The shutter needs to be controlled so that after 15 seconds it opens, allowing the projected image to reach the screen. So, to be clear, when the power switch is turned on, the shutter is activated by a 6VDC line and blocks the video image. After 15 seconds the power to the shutter shuts off and the shutter opens allowing the date to be rear projected on the console gauge. Also when the main power is turned on, one 110vac light go on.  Now it's time to travel. Here is a youtube link to see the original Machine in action…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-2hlsvcEc      There is a lever on the console. When the lever is in the middle position the Machine is at rest. When the lever is pushed forward, the Machine travels forward in time. If the lever is pulled back, the Machine travels back in time. So, when the lever is moved, several things start to happen. The large dish on the back of the Machine begins to rotate. Three lights (110vac) on the top of the console began to flash at different intervals. 12VDC LED lights at the back and front of the Machine "fade on". The further the lever is moved, the faster the rotation of the dish and the blinking of the lights. OK, I'm guessing this is all doable but now it gets a bit tricky.
The video image showing the date on the console, begins to change. The faster the Machine travels, the faster the video changes in the gauge. In addition, there is a clock next to the Machine, which keeps real time, but as the Machine is moving, so do the clock hands. When the traveling ends, the clock returns to real time. In additional there is also audio of the sound of the Machine and music. Well, that's it in a nutshell.

dave-in-nj

huh....  it looked like Leonard pulled the lever back to go forward in time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAtWuYUIQw

oh, the candle... that burns in time with the clock..... you could have it drop into the candle stick holder.....

RobNiosi

Hey Dave, I like the way you think.

Brandon_Parker

So where are you located in New York?  This is pretty interesting and sounds like a lot of fun....

{:0)

Brandon

RobNiosi

I'm in Briarcliff Manor, just north of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. I find it much more productive to speak in person. If you are interested, phone me at 914-923-3324.

I recently finished painting the design on the dish...

RobNiosi

I'm in Briarcliff Manor, just north of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. I find it much more productive to speak in person. If you are interested, phone me at 914-923-3324.

I recently finished painting the design on the dish...

Brandon_Parker

I sent you a PM if you're interested....

{:0)

Brandon

Go Up