Go Down

Topic: USB button box/keyboard?  (Read 3590 times) previous topic - next topic

n00b

Hello guys,

I wanted to build a small box with a few buttons and switches that will work in a flight simulator via USB.

And was wondering what the cheapest method to do this would be, and if its something that could be done with the Arduino?

Grumpy_Mike

Is this your own flight simulator or a commercial one?

n00b

Jan 05, 2015, 11:19 pm Last Edit: Jan 05, 2015, 11:32 pm by n00b
Its a commercial one.

Elite Dangerous

Or did you mean the hardware?

In which case, I'm talking about a Windows PC and a button box that will hook up to it via USB and register when the buttons are pressed, so I can map them to keyboard keys (as this will clear a heap of desk space, and help with immersion)

Grumpy_Mike

An arduino Leonardo or micro can be made to look like a keyboard or a mouse to a PC, that would be your best bet.

n00b

An arduino Leonardo or micro can be made to look like a keyboard or a mouse to a PC, that would be your best bet.
Thanks Mike, take it this is a feature of the ATmega 32U4?

(is there a name for this, or should I be goggling something like "Arduino USB keyboard emulation") 

Paul__B

should I be goggling something like "Arduino USB keyboard emulation"
Well, that would take you to  this page.

n00b

Well, that would take you to  this page.

Well that dose look like a good place to start  :smiley-grin:

Just read so many terms like USB Human Interface Device, Emulation, USB Compatible Input Interface, Joystick Controller, Button Box Interface and so on!

But this looks like it wll be the best option for me, as I have a whole bunch or Arduinos, and only want to be able to emulate a dozen button presses.

KirkaFordisRex

But this looks like it wll be the best option for me, as I have a whole bunch or Arduinos, and only want to be able to emulate a dozen button presses.
How did this turn out? were you successful?

Go Up