Go Down

Topic: Arduino 1.5.8: Serial monitor will not display (Read 4602 times) previous topic - next topic

highFlyer04

Hey guys,

So I was having issues uploading to an arduino clone (moteino) and one of the suggestions was to update the FTDI drivers so I did. But now with an arduino Uno R2 in 1.5.8, the serial monitor tab appears on the taskbar but the physical window never appears. I can upload sketches without issue and the only problem appears to be with the serial monitor.

The serial monitor still works in 1.0.6 just fine but I need 1.5.8 because it works better with my TFT display.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

AJITnayak

IDE might have problem.download new IDE.

All IDE works same. Its better to get started with 1.0.6.
AMPS

jensrauff

If You are running Windows 7 click the tab on the taskbar and press Win + Right or Win + Left a couple of times. Most of the time this will make the invisible window appear. 

Thomas499

Jan 06, 2015, 09:42 pm Last Edit: Jan 06, 2015, 09:50 pm by Thomas499
I am trying to get the 1.5.8 to work as well. the 1.0.6 works fine, but I keep getting this error with the 1.5.8

Why can't it open device "\\.\COM1" ? How do I fix this? I want to use 1.5.8 so I can scroll to see all the libraries.

---------------------edit------------------------------------

Somehow I fixed it, now it works. All I did was click on tools, and then port and clicked on the port. I only have one arduino hooked up, i'm use to it picking that up automatically and asking me if i'd like to switch.

highFlyer04

IDE might have problem.download new IDE.

All IDE works same. Its better to get started with 1.0.6.
1.0.6 is known to have issues with the TFT library and functioning properly with TFT displays which I need for my project. Hence the 1.5.8.

I've tried re-downloading 1.5.8 but that didn't solve anything.

If You are running Windows 7 click the tab on the taskbar and press Win + Right or Win + Left a couple of times. Most of the time this will make the invisible window appear. 
Yes and tried that, its not a simple windows issue.

[/quote]
Somehow I fixed it, now it works. All I did was click on tools, and then port and clicked on the port. I only have one arduino hooked up, i'm use to it picking that up automatically and asking me if i'd like to switch.
I know about tools>port and the IDE correctly finds the COM that the arduino is connected to and is selected so that is not the issue.

any other suggestion guys?

sharktank

I travel a lot and have a second monitor only at the main shop. Often I will get on site and no serial monitor. It's because I was using it on my second screen and it's still hiding over there virtually, and unlike many apps arduino doesn't seem to know to send all windows to the single screen when there is only one. If you change your screen rez it will often force all open windows onto the one screen.

ballscrewbob

Sep 25, 2016, 03:25 am Last Edit: Sep 25, 2016, 03:25 am by Ballscrewbob
Seen that here too on a dual monitor system maybe Pert can pick this up and push it as an issue to Github ?
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

Hi Ballscrewbob. I only report issues that I can verify and unfortunately I only have one monitor on my computers. The developers often require more information on issues and testing of fixes and since I can't provide that I'm not the best person to report this. I spent some time searching the GitHub issue tracker for the Arduino IDE without finding a previous report of this, though there were a couple other dual monitor related issues. As long as this isn't something non-specific to the Arduino IDE(such as an incorrect operating system setting, etc.) I think it would be worth reporting to see if the developers can do anything about it.

Be sure to verify that the error still occurs with the latest hourly build and provide the date and time of that build(shown on the window title bar) as well as your operating system and any other relevant system information when you submit the issue report.

mraczka

I had the same problem.

Solution:
1. unplug all additional screens
2. reboot computer
3. start arduino and serial monitor
4. plugin additional sreen
5. enjoy...

Go Up