Go Down

Topic: Arduino powered WS2811 pixel lights tester (Read 982 times) previous topic - next topic

ubotbuddy

Hello all,

I am adapting my Arduino Uno to test old strands of
WS2811 pixel lights.  These are 12v strands with a
data line.  I am planning on power injecting the pixels
with my 12v power supply.  So I will only provide
output from my Arduino to the data line of the strand.

I have quite a few strands so I am thinking of using my
74HC595 module so I can test several strands.

My goal is not to create a sequencer but just a simple
tester.  Turning on a single pixel for a brief second or
two and then move on.  Eventually, I would like to add
a button to speed the cycle up/down as well as a pause
when I discover a problem.  And maybe increase the
single light to 2 up to 5.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Buddy

PaulRB

Hi,

Not sure how a 74hc595 is going to help with that. Was the idea to hang a strip off each '595 output? If so, I don't think that would work, but maybe CD4051 would. Alternatively just use 8 Arduino outputs.

Having said that, if the circuit is only for testing, why do you need to attach more than one strip at once?

Paul

CrossRoads

WS2811 needs a timing sequence to control them. See Neopixel library at www.adafruit.com
Shift register will just hose things up.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

ubotbuddy

@PaulRB
My thought was to test several strands at a time.  I would let it run for a while not just one pass.

@CrossRoads
Thanks for the PDF.  I will check out the NeoPixel library.

So in theory, i should be able to use my Arduino without any extra hardware.  Correct?  Or am I missing something?

Buddy

ubotbuddy

Nevermind.  No extra hardware is required.  That library, in fact, was the missing link.  Looks like their example code will get me going.

Buddy

Go Up