Go Down

Topic: Water on the Floor Detector (Read 9190 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

I thought this was a place for idea exchange.
I didn't realise this was a contest.
Well, if you see it that way, that is rather unfortunate.  Sad, really.

There are varying expectations of engineering - "just enough" to get the job done, or robust.

I am sure your circuit works - given the constraints of your particular application.  But the danger is that it may then be assumed to be applicable in the more general sense, for water level indication - a not uncommon question here.

dave-in-nj

Jan 18, 2015, 04:34 pm Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015, 05:32 pm by dave-in-nj
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/extra-floodstop-sensor-pad

simple board with parallel serpentine etching.

looks nearly identical to the wet leaf sensor

larryd

Jan 18, 2015, 04:59 pm Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015, 05:26 pm by LarryD
Sad, really.
Issues with life, or just everything in general.
given the constraints of your particular application.
OP is looking at detecting water on the floor in his home not a art gallery.
I am sure your circuit works
I does, has been since 2005.

Aapologies to the OP
No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

raschemmel

Jan 18, 2015, 07:52 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2015, 04:20 pm by raschemmel
I have 30 yrs experience with electronics and both of the circuits suggested are equally simple and appropriate for a beginner and both should be reliable. If I were in the OP's shows shoes and couldn't use (or obtain) the fluid detector ic I would use either of the circuits. (whichever seems more convenient to fabricate).  My sensor leads for the fluid detector ic were two wires inside of plastic straws taped together  flat on the floor with the bare wires extending 1" from the end of the straws and taped 1/4" apart to a thin piece of stiff plastic (like a piece of credit card cut off of an expired credit card). It worked perfectly . I tested it by dipping the bare ends in a glass of tap water. I really don't see the need to be overly critical of the design for this application.

dave-in-nj

Aapologies to the OP
Ras...  
Aapologies  - Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French apologie, from Late Latin apologia, from Greek, from apo- + logos speech -- more at legend
First Known Use: 1533
this one is from the middle french, but we expect to read it in English.

Quote from: raschemmel Sun Jan 18 2015 

...If I were in the OP's shows...
then you would be an actor.......

dave-in-nj

just to touch on the technology.

a float switch often has to 'lift' about an inch before tripping.

a circuit on the concrete, be it in cardboard, in straws, or a PCB, only needs the presence of water.

lots of good ideas in this thread.  I think the OP cannot go wrong with any of them.

dave-in-nj

just to touch on the technology.

a float switch often has to 'lift' about an inch before tripping.

a circuit on the concrete, be it in cardboard, in straws, or a PCB, only needs the presence of water.

lots of good ideas in this thread.  I think the OP cannot go wrong with any of them.
Ras...  
Aapologies  - Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French apologie, from Late Latin apologia, from Greek, from apo- + logos speech -- more at legend
First Known Use: 1533
this one is from the middle french, but we expect to read it in English.

I probably should not be commenting on grammar and spelling as I offer more fodder than most when it comes to offering mistakes for others to find.

raschemmel

ha, ha, ha, very funny.... ;D

Go Up