Go Down

Topic: Warning: Problem accessing board folder /www/sd (Read 10346 times) previous topic - next topic

bill-lancaster

I'm trying to run the project described in examples > TemperatureWebPanel

I have a 4gb sd card mounted on the Yun.

When uploading the sketch I get the message 'Warning: Problem accessing board folder /www/sd'

When I ssh into the Yun (I'm using terminal in Kubuntu 14.10) I can see a folder 'arduino' in root which contains a folder called 'www'.

Any help as to where I'm going wrong would be appreciated.

mikeruss

Angelo9999

Did you insert a micro SD card in your Yun?

ShapeShifter

When I ssh into the Yun (I'm using terminal in Kubuntu 14.10) I can see a folder 'arduino' in root which contains a folder called 'www'.
That doesn't really mean anything. The arduino folder (with the www folder) needs to be at the root level of the SD card, not at the system root level.

You can create the folder in the SD card root when it is mounted on another computer. Or if the SD card is mounted on the Yun, and you SSH to it, you need to create the folders:
  • /mnt/sda1/arduino
  • /mnt/sda1/arduino/www

bill-lancaster

Thanks for the ideas.

I thought that maybe this poor sd card had been through quite a lot so I re-formated it following the instructions found at:-

Code: [Select]
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ExpandingYunDiskSpace

AFAIK the whole thing went well.  (I've saved all the terminal output if anyone is interested).

As a result I notice that the folders /arduino/www are created in root on the sd card.

Now the temperaturewebpanel sketch uploads with no errors.

The command root@YunBrackenwood:/# /mnt/sda1/arduino/www
produced:-
-ash: /mnt/sda1/arduino/www: Permission denied

Not knowinf if the sketch would create the /TemperatureWebPanel folder in /www so I uploaded the sketch and not seeing the folder created I did:-

root@YunBrackenwood:~/arduino/www# mkdir TemperatureWebPanel

Then uploaded the sketch again but it still does not work.

Loading http://yunbrackenwood.local/sd/ in Firefox gives a page that says:-

Index of /sd/

1  ../
    modified: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:32:08 GMT
    directory - 4.00 kbyte

So it's no surprise that http://www.arduino.local/sd/TemperatureWebPanel responds with 'server not found'

I'd appreciate any help to get this project up & running.

bill-lancaster

Sorry, I really should have started a new thread

ShapeShifter

I thought that maybe this poor sd card had been through quite a lot so I re-formated it following the instructions found at:-

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ExpandingYunDiskSpace
That's actually doing quite a bit more than just formatting the SD card. It creates two partitions on the card, one for data and one for the system. It then copies the system files to the SD card, and sets up your Yun so that it starts to boot from internal flash memory, and then switches over to finish booting from the SD card. Once up and running, you are actually using the system image that is on the SD card. The upshot of this is that it gives you more system disk space than you would have with the internal flash memory, letting you load more software packages.

The command root@YunBrackenwood:/# /mnt/sda1/arduino/www
produced:-
-ash: /mnt/sda1/arduino/www: Permission denied
What are you trying to accomplish with this command? You're asking it to execute the file named www that is in the folder /mnt/sda1/arduino. www is not an executable file, it a folder. Folders can't be executed, hence your error message, which is the correct response to your command.

Not knowinf if the sketch would create the /TemperatureWebPanel folder in /www so I uploaded the sketch and not seeing the folder created I did:-

root@YunBrackenwood:~/arduino/www# mkdir TemperatureWebPanel

Then uploaded the sketch again but it still does not work.
Did you copy any files into that folder? It should contain the files from the www folder of the TemperatureWebPanel example folder.

If you upload a sketch over the USB port, it simply uploads the sketch, and nothing else.

If you upload a sketch over the network, it does a bit more than simply load the sketch. If the sketch's folder on your computer includes a www folder, and if the SD card on the Yun includes an /arduino/www folder, then it will create a folder on the SD card with the sketch's name, and copy the contents of the local www folder to the SD card.

So, if you have support files that are needed by the sketch, like is the case with TemperatureWebPanel, make sure to upload the sketch via a network connection, not USB. Otherwise, be prepared to copy the files over yourself.

Loading http://yunbrackenwood.local/sd/ in Firefox gives a page that says:-

Index of /sd/

1  ../
    modified: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:32:08 GMT
    directory - 4.00 kbyte

So it's no surprise that http://www.arduino.local/sd/TemperatureWebPanel responds with 'server not found'
Interesting... it should be showing the contents of /mnt/sd/arduino/www, which should include a clickable link to the TemperareWebPanel folder.

Was this after you had manually created the /mnt/sd1/arduino/wwwTemperatureWebPanel folder?

Note that your first SD card is mounted at /mnt/sda1. if your SD card has an /arduino/ folder in the root, the system will also create a link to it as /mnt/sd so it can be accessed either way.

bill-lancaster

In answer to an earlier suggestion:-

You can create the folder in the SD card root when it is mounted on another computer. Or if the SD card is mounted on the Yun, and you SSH to it, you need to create the folders:

/mnt/sda1/arduino
    /mnt/sda1/arduino/www

I thought I'd run the commands and report the results.

No, I didn't copy any files into the folder but after reading your post I created a /TemperatureWebPanel/'www' folder on my pc then uploaded the sketch over wifi.  This time my browser responds to http://yunbrackenwood.local/sd/TemperatureWebPanel/ with "Index of /sd/TemperatureWebPanel/" but it still cannot find the server

ShapeShifter

I thought I'd run the commands and report the results.
I'm sorry to confuse you. Those aren't commands, the are the names of required directories. When logged into the a Yun via SSH, you would use the "mkdir" command to create them:
mkdir /mnt/sda1/arduino
mkdir /mnt/sda1/arduino/www

No, I didn't copy any files into the folder but after reading your post I created a /TemperatureWebPanel/'www' folder on my pc then uploaded the sketch over wifi.  This time my browser responds to http://yunbrackenwood.local/sd/TemperatureWebPanel/ with "Index of /sd/TemperatureWebPanel/" but it still cannot find the server
Interesting... Does it list any files in the folder, or just an empty directory?

bill-lancaster

Just an empty directory. 

root@YunBrackenwood:~/arduino/www/TemperatureWebPanel# ls -l

Also shows that the folder is empty.

bill-lancaster

Small steps & stupidity!

I originally copied the TemperatureWebPanel sketch to my arduino folder and forgot to copy the contents of the www folder.

This explains a lot!

So now, my browser finds the yun server but the TemperatureWebPanel project just places a "0" on the page plus time values being printed to terminal.  Perhaps I've knackered the tmp36.

mikeruss

try using an example tmp36 sketch to ouput the temp to the monitor

bill-lancaster

Good idea!  I'll try that.

In the meantime here is a listing of the www folder on the Yun

root@YunBrackenwood:/www# ls -l
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            27 Aug 19  2013 cgi-bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           436 Jul 30  2013 index.html
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            53 Aug 19  2013 keystore_manager_example
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root            61 Aug 19  2013 luci-static
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jan 19 08:19 sd -> /mnt/sda1/arduino/www

bill-lancaster

mikeruss

in case you dont know - if you place the www folder containing your php / html files in the same directory as your sketch, the IDE will upload them to the correct place on the SD card

Go Up