Go Down

Topic: Unos 0.1.1 - Programs on SD Card Now Supported (Read 17813 times) previous topic - next topic

goodinventor

Yes, I think that these comments have been very constructive. So thanks to all who gave suggestions. As for the calculator idea, I think I'll give it a try. After that if I have success with the 86Duino OS, I'll let you know.

goodinventor

After much thought I have decided to restructure my expectations. I will continue with the Unos project, but my reasons for doing so will be primarily for OS research purposes. My plan is to implement a module loader which will always reside in the Arduino's memory, and create modules of functions which will be loaded as needed. I will also include a network system for loading modules over the internet.

pYro_65

Unless you modify the AVR bootloader to allow using SPM instructions from within your application, you are just writing an interpreter. And linking in lots of different libraries (Serial/Ethernet/SD) is not making an OS, you are just providing your own custom abstraction or API.

Basically you're getting a blue bucket and painting it red. Just do a project you'll be proud of. Having others approve of it or even use it should not be the goal as a beginner, as you're not going to get the satisfaction you're seeking.

Trust me, you are at the stage now where you'll start learning new constructs and ways of doing things more efficiently if you keep reading and trying new code. In a year, you'll look back at this code and say it was a good learning experience, but will probably never use it in anything serious.

Forum Mod anyone?
https://arduino.land/Moduino/

goodinventor

That would be true, except I am not linking in a bunch of different libraries. I am linking in modules which do tasks, like opening up a command prompt over serial. Each module does a task and can be loaded onto the Arduino by the user when needed.

goodinventor

Thank you, I just did. Now what are you trying to say? That I should port over Microware OS-9 to the Arduino rather than build my own?

AWOL

You'd have very great difficulty porting OS-9 because, to the best of my recollection, it's not open source.
The other difficulty in porting is that it was largely RAM-based.

I simply pointed to it as a relatively well-documented example of a simple OS with a tiny, basic kernel, expanded by the use of loadable modules.

I used to use OS-9 and OS-9000 on 68k and PowerPC - it was very fast to boot and easy to use, and the ability to load and unload system components, even on a running system, was remarkable for its time.

goodinventor

Fascinating. Which PowerPC do you mean, though? PowerPC G2_LE, PowerPC G4, PowerPC e300, PowerPC e500, PowerPC e500v2, PowerPC 603e, PowerPC e5500, or an original PowerPC?

AWOL

Jul 06, 2015, 03:31 pm Last Edit: Jul 06, 2015, 03:35 pm by AWOL
None of the above - PowerPC 750, 7400 and 7410 (and 68040, before you ask)

goodinventor

The PowerPC 750 is also known as the PowerPC G3. And you mean the Motorola 68040, right?

Go Up