Go Down

Topic: removing a library(solved it) (Read 10654 times) previous topic - next topic

laurieh

Jan 26, 2015, 08:19 am Last Edit: Jan 26, 2015, 10:48 am by laurieh
I installed a library which is stopping a sketch from working and need to remove it and install the correct one. When I look in the sketch library it is shown as a contributed one but when I go to the arduino program and look in libraries it shows the default libraries but not the contributed one so is there anyway to find it so I can delete it?  cheers Laurie

meganator1234

hello i'm having the same problem did you fix it by chance?

pert

The easiest way to find a library is to do this:
  • File > Examples > {library name} > pick any example
  • Sketch > Show Sketch Folder

This will open the example sketch folder which is in the examples subfolder of the library. So you just need to navigate up a couple of folder levels and delete the library. Please be careful when deleting files. When in doubt back up!

Another option, which can be used if the library doesn't have examples, is to do this:
  • File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (check) > OK
  • Open or create a sketch that includes the library.
  • Sketch > Compile/Verify
  • Wait for the compilation to complete or fail.
  • Read through the text in the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window. You may need to scroll up to see the full contents. You will find he path to the library listed.

I suspect the problem laurieh had was that there are multiple places where Arduino libraries are stored. There is the libraries folder under the Arduino IDE installation folder. This folder is to be used for the libraries that come with the Arduino IDE and you should never install any libraries to that folder but some people do and you may find some tutorials that give the bad advice to do so. The place where the user is supposed to install libraries is the libraries subfolder of the sketchbook folder. The sketchbook folder location can be found at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location:. That folder is also where libraries installed via Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries... or Sketch > Include library > Add .ZIP library... can be found.

Each hardware package also has a libraries folder. These libraries are only accessible by the Arduino IDE when one of the boards from that package is selected from the Tools > Board menu.

niq_ro

is not better to reinvent the wheel, but to improve it's less work and better results

SteveTob67

I had the same problem with a lot of libraries so I decided to start over by doing the following

Delete the Documents -> Arduino -> Libraries to remove all your libraries.
Delete the User -> AppData -> Local -> Arduino15 folder to remove all the preferences.
Uninstall Arduino IDE.
Install a fresh one.

Go Up