MP3 Music player problems

Hey, guys!
I am newbie in arduino world, so please forgive me for my kind'a stupid question.
I want to control mp3 player using my arduino uno.
I bought mp3 player from ebay. here is the link what i get.
It was written UART Control Serial MP3 Music Player Module For Arduino, so I thought there will be no problem at finding ready library and make it work. When i received my player i started looking for any examples in the internet, but i didn't find any...
So now i have new mp3 player, which i don't even know how to use... :confused:
Maybe anyone could suggest me how i can make it work? Or where i should start looking to understand how it' is working.

Thanks in advanced! :roll_eyes:

Look at the numbers on the chip then look up the data sheet for that chip. That will tell you what commends you have to give it. The eBay photos have them photo shopped out.

I have the same problem. I have also searched for the chip specs and could not find any useful data in english, I found some document but were in chineese, probably :slight_smile:

ls:
I have the same problem. I have also searched for the chip specs and could not find any useful data in english, I found some document but were in chineese, probably :slight_smile:

So you know the chip number but can't be bothered to tell anyone else?

I second Mikes response

These boards look interesting, but unless you post a link to the documentation, even if its in Chinese, how are we supposed to be able to help

Nowadays a lot of docs are only in Chinese, but as serial controlled devices often use a AT command set, you can normally make an educated guess on the commands by looking at the docs as those characters will be in English and numbers etc will be as well.

It uses the YX5300 chip,manual, datasheet and other useful material can be found here.

Great.

So has that solved the OPs problem?
You connect it to a serial port.
If you are using a UNO or other serial port Arduinos then you have to use a software serial emulation otherwise you can use a Mega which has 4 serial ports.
Page 5 gives you the bytes you have to send to make it do stuff. Use the serial.write calls to send each byte.
There is even Arduino sample code

I have done some work with Catalex YX5300 Serial MP3 module to create a standalone music player

The add-on parts used are

1. Arduino Leonardo (due to its extra hardware serial port)
  2. 16x2 LCD with i2c piggyback
  3. Five button AD key

The hardest part was figuring out the to & fro Arduino<--->YX5300 communication through the Serial bus using HEX commands & its respective HEX replies.

Following are displayed on the LCD screen :
Play\Pause\Stop, Current Song No. , Previous Completed Song No. , SD Card status - IN \ OUT & Volume level.

The five yellow buttons are used for

1. Button UP - Increase Volume
  2. Button DOWN - Decrease Volume
  3. Button LEFT - Skip song backward
  4. Button RIGHT - Skip song forward
  5. Button Far RIGHT - Play\Pause toggle

Autoplay is enabled which will cycle play the entire song list.

Message indication is present for SD card insertion or ejection.

Play\Pause display, Song no. indication & SD Card status is implemented through HEX feedback from YX5300 player

penjoseph:
Autoplay is enabled which will cycle play the entire song list.

How did you enable it? Did you find a command to get the YX5300 to do so or did you solve it on Arduino side?

penjoseph:
I have done some work with Catalex YX5300 Serial MP3 module to create a standalone music player

Hi Nitek

I want to start a MP3 player project and i would like to know:

1. how good is the output sound quality?
  2. after starting playing a music, is it possible to arduino to know when that music ended?

Thanks

geologic:
I want to start a MP3 player project and i would like to know:

1. how good is the output sound quality?
  2. after starting playing a music, is it possible to arduino to know when that music ended?

Thanks

I have only been using the DFPlayer Mini ( <US$ 1.60 at eBay ) and so far just connected to a decent but not high-end PC speaker. These replies apply to that hardware setup.

1. Hard to tell, it depends on your demands. It sounds as good as connected to the sound card on a PC. Later on in my jukebox project, I will connect it to a stereo amplifier and "real" spekers. I expect it to sound like radio or CD, but we'll see.

2. Yes. On DFPlayer Mini, there is a pin labeled Busy that you can either connect to a LED or to an input pin at the Arduino. When the music is stopped, it changes state.

Thank you SimLego.

I was thinking on YX5300 module because it has 3,5mm female jack but it does not have BUSY pin.
DFPlayer mini has that BUSI pin, but lacks female jack.

Please post here your conclusions with DFPlayer mini module , i didn't decide what module to buy.

Now I've hooked it up with crocodile wires to my big old stereo system. The stereo sound quality is very good, from low bass to high treble. Just like playing a vinyl record, but without the scratch noises. I was a little concerned after watching a number of Youtube clips, but they connect to toy speakers and record in a mobile phone, hence the horrible sound quality on those clips.

I don't see the absense of a jack such a big problem. It's just a couple of minutes of work away. :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I am a newbie of Arduino. Recently I bought a yx5300 MP3 module and wanted to read the index.txt text file from the SD card line by line.

I am wondering how I can do read the text file?

thanks all.