Go Down

Topic: Arduino_OS.ino - A Small Arduino Cooperative "OS" Task Switcher (Read 4897 times) previous topic - next topic

goodinventor

This project is mostly for experimental purposes. Anyways, it will take a long time for the OS to actually be useful, but I am willing to go through the hard process of building it.

AWOL

I know that not every comment about your attempts has been constructive but many of them were and this does not give me the sense that you have learned anything from them.

The Raspberry PI already has the Linux operating system.

...R
Even better, it has RISC OS

AWOL

goodinventor

Well, both work on ARM. But I see what you mean. Linux supports a bunch of processors, whereas RISC OS is designed only for ARM processors.

GrooveFlotilla

Sorry to necro this thread, but I came upon it whilst looking for something else, and it piqued my curiosity.

A quick scan of the code reveals a naïvety bordering on dangerous, and demonstrates a disregard for, or lack of knowledge of, the AVR's ABI.
The code may appear to the unwary to work, but it will fail, most likely in very subtle ways.

All the mucking about with the stack (which is insufficient anyway) is not done with interrupts disabled, so any incoming interrupts, like the timers, will cause all kinds of damage to memory if they happen at the wrong time.
And they will happen at the wrong time.

I'm OK with the label "experimental", but I feel a more serious health warning is in order - this is it.   Arne Sacknussemm wos 'ere.
Some people are like Slinkies.

Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Robin2

A quick scan of the code reveals a naïvety bordering on dangerous,
It may have been wiser to leave it gathering dust at the back of the cupboard, rather than drawing attention to it :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

GrooveFlotilla

Fair point - just worried someone else might have stumbled on it the same way I did
Some people are like Slinkies.

Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Go Up