Go Down

Topic: Board list is too long, no way to scroll down. (Read 768 times) previous topic - next topic

nkaba2

IDE1.0.6 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64.

After adding the ATtiny chips to the list, now the boards list is too long to fit on the screen and the bottom couple of boards do not show and cannot be chosen, there are no arrows and no scroll bars to allow going to the bottom of the list.

If I change the screen to a higher resolution then I am able to see all the list, but the screen is too small for normal use. So I cannot keep it at that resolution.

Is there a fix for this problem.

I suppose one temporary work around would be to edit the boards.txt file to move the definitions around and push the boards I am not using to the bottom of the list, could somebody post the correct way to do that.

TIA

Nawwaf

Peter_n

Feb 02, 2015, 09:42 am Last Edit: Feb 02, 2015, 09:43 am by Peter_n
The solution is to use Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA with scrolling menu list.
The file boards.txt has been changed, so you might have to add a few lines for each custom board. But you have to do that someday anyway, when the new 1.6.0 version is released.

Budvar10

I suppose one temporary work around would be to edit the boards.txt file to move the definitions around and push the boards I am not using to the bottom of the list, could somebody post the correct way to do that.
The boards which you are not using, could be simply removed from file and that's it.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

nkaba2

Thanks for the quick replies.

Being new at this I stayed away from trying the Beta versions because I thought it may complicate troubleshooting, not being sure whether I was dealing with a hardware or software issue. Could somebody comment on how stable the Betas are and when the general release version might come out.

I suppose you could just as easily remove boards as move the definitions around, however I was looking for a temporary fix rather than crippling the file permanently. Either way one still has to have an idea about the structure of the file and what to move/delete for each board.

Thanks.

Nawwaf

Peter_n

The Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA is better than the 1.0.6 in my opinion. But I don't know if it is fully compatible with the ATtiny addition.
Which ATtiny are you using ? the ATtiny85 is Arduino compatible with the "Trinket".

The Arduino IDE is updated to a new version once or twice a year. With custom changes, you have to make those changes every time a new version is released. If you want to do something special, you have to learn about the use of boards.txt and platform.txt anyway.

nkaba2

Thanks all.
I was able to move stuff around in boards.txt file and got things to work, by trial and error. Where can I find more in depth info about the structure of the file and all those options it covers.

I have a cheaper Uno compatible that needs the Optiboot definitions and a UNO R3. I downloaded 1.5.8 but could not get it to play nice with either the Attiny 85 or the Atmega 8A based board (optiboot), so I am back to 1.0.6

I am not sure if the problem is with 1.5.8 or with the fact that I couldn't get the definitions correctly for it ( everything works fine under 1.0.6.)

Where can I find more info about this.

Thanks

Go Up