Go Down

Topic: Cat pee.  (Read 4023 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul_KD7HB

My bets are on the capacitors being rated for 85C

The pushbutton isn't waterproof but it can be dried out. If you are worried, you can unsolder it while washing
Nope. We run boards with capacitors identical to the Arduino capacitors right through the convection oven and solder the whole board on one pass. Using lead-free solder.

Paul

mcnobby

I used to work in the Marine Electronics industry and was told that PCBs (and some components) will soak up water. I observed this during many years of humidity testing.

Is cleaning a PCB with water a good idea then ? and surely not boiling

CrossRoads

I don't believe fiberglass, which is used in most current PCBs, can soak up water.
The cleaning methods discussed do not involve long term submersion.
Best method would be brushing down with 99.9% (anhydrous) alcohol. That's how I clean all the boards we hand solder (Mega screw shields mostly).  Reflow soldered boards use no-clean solder paste and receive no additional cleaning.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

smeezekitty

Brei
I used to work in the Marine Electronics industry and was told that PCBs (and some components) will soak up water. I observed this during many years of humidity testing.

Is cleaning a PCB with water a good idea then ? and surely not boiling
I don't think water would be absorbed with brief contact with water. Maybe after extended exposure
but cleaning with water should be safe.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

cadmiumeye

Thanks everyone for all the help. I put the cat in the boiling water and that fixed the long term problem of future pee incidence  :o   I'm still waiting for the results on the cleaned arduino.....

.............no actual cats were hurt during the production of this message board. ;) 

JimboZA

In one of those "how to build and update and repair a pc" books that were in vogue a while back (probably one of Mark Minasi's) the author advocated chucking boards in the home dishwasher.

His boards were totally stuffed from being in a marine environment, and he was going to chuck them away as scrap. So as a last resort, nothing to lose, he stuck them in the dishwasher and after that they worked.

YMMV, E&OE, Ts and Cs apply.
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

cadmiumeye

That's fantastic...! I was considering tossing the bread board in the washer with my cloths. No parts to worry about getting sloshed around. Not sure I'm ready to put a board in the cloths washer just yet, but the dishwasher seems more gentle and a better solution.

Paul_KD7HB

In one of those "how to build and update and repair a pc" books that were in vogue a while back (probably one of Mark Minasi's) the author advocated chucking boards in the home dishwasher.

His boards were totally stuffed from being in a marine environment, and he was going to chuck them away as scrap. So as a last resort, nothing to lose, he stuck them in the dishwasher and after that they worked.

YMMV, E&OE, Ts and Cs apply.
Our back-up circuit board washer is a Sears portable dishwasher. Works well! Just use hot water, no detergent.

Paul

Go Up