Go Down

Topic: Arduino.org boards not compatible with Arduino.cc drivers (Read 10236 times) previous topic - next topic

Peter_n

Here is my post about this : http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=306628.msg2132669#msg2132669

Some people spent a lot of money to buy the official boards, but with the "wrong" official boards from Arduino.org, the drivers from Arduino.cc version 1.6.0 didn't work.

The normal Arduino Uno from Arduino.cc has a VID of 2341.
The Arduino.org Uno has a VID of 2A03, which were not recognized by the Arduino.cc 1.6.0 drivers.
The Arduino.org has additional drivers in the "drivers" folder for the 2A03 version.

This is really sad.
New enthusiastic users might just as well buy the cheapest fake boards from Ebay. Preferably with the CH340G chip (which needs a driver "ch341ser.exe" from wch.cn).

There is nothing on the home page of Arduino.cc and nothing in the Blog about this. We (users of Arduino) should be informed properly !

I hope someone will take all the legal steps to solve this within a few months. Perhaps both Arduino.cc and Arduino.org should be stopped and a new Arduino team should be created.
Dave Jones from eevblog should rant about this.
To Adafruit and Sparkfun: this is your business, join together and force a solution. If possible, you both can be the new Arduino team.

UPDATE: The new Arduino 1.6.1 contains also the drivers for the Arduino.org boards.

ReverseTurduino_GBW

Ok, very unclear as to whats going on. Never even knew arduino.org was a thing, after further investigation, i'm confused. Which is the real Arduino site?  :smiley-neutral:

flyboy

How very sad this is.  It's hard to believe that such a staple of DIY hobby electronics has gotten sucked into an ugly fight that leaves the consumers in a bad spot.  If they don't get this under control quickly, they'll find themselves out of business.

westfw

the legal steps to solve this within a few months.
Alas, that tends NOT to be the way that legal processes proceed.

krupski

Mar 11, 2015, 06:46 am Last Edit: Mar 11, 2015, 09:10 am by Coding Badly
Here is my post about this : http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=306628.msg2132669#msg2132669

Some people spent a lot of money to buy the official boards, but with the "wrong" official boards from Arduino.org, the drivers from Arduino.cc version 1.6.0 didn't work.

The normal Arduino Uno from Arduino.cc has a VID of 2341.
The Arduino.org Uno has a VID of 2A03, which were not recognized by the Arduino.cc 1.6.0 drivers.
The Arduino.org has additional drivers in the "drivers" folder for the 2A03 version.

This is really sad.
New enthusiastic users might just as well buy the cheapest fake boards from Ebay. Preferably with the CH340G chip (which needs a driver "ch341ser.exe" from wch.cn).

There is nothing on the home page of Arduino.cc and nothing in the Blog about this. We (users of Arduino) should be informed properly !

I hope someone will take all the legal steps to solve this within a few months. Perhaps both Arduino.cc and Arduino.org should be stopped and a new Arduino team should be created.
Dave Jones from eevblog should rant about this.
To Adafruit and Sparkfun: this is your business, join together and force a solution. If possible, you both can be the new Arduino team.

UPDATE: The new Arduino 1.6.1 contains also the drivers for the Arduino.org boards.
Just checked my boards:

Uno: ID 2341:0043 Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM)
Mega2560: ID 2341:0042 Arduino SA Mega 2560 R3 (CDC ACM)
(vendor selling a counterfeit) Mega2560 clone: ID 2341:0010 Arduino SA Mega 2560 (CDC ACM)

Interesting that the (vendor selling a counterfeit) board is also 2341......
Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

westfw

Mar 11, 2015, 07:27 am Last Edit: Mar 11, 2015, 09:11 am by Coding Badly
Interesting that the (vendor selling a counterfeit) board is also 2341...
Hmm.  Yeah.  Essentially, if you had an "true clone" of Leonardo, Arduino Micro, Uno or Mega2560 (with a 8u2, 16u2, or 32u4 USB chip), and it worked without special INF driver files, then it violates various standards/trademark/etc rules (you know: selling USB devices with someone else's VID/PID and without permission) and potential compatibility problems (duplicate serial numbers, etc.)  Given "open source", it's one of the more concrete violations of cloners.

gpb01

Please look HERE ... there is a case pending between the two companies.

Guglielmo
Search is Your friend ... or I am Your enemy !

Peter_n

I agree with this : http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=301905.msg2104647#msg2104647
It is good for lawyers, and bad for everyone else.
When arduino.org would start a forum, I can vent my opinion there what I think of them ;)

krupski

I agree with this : http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=301905.msg2104647#msg2104647
It is good for lawyers, and bad for everyone else.
When arduino.org would start a forum, I can vent my opinion there what I think of them ;)
I'm shocked. I looked at the Arduino.org site (which I assume is not an official Arduino site?) and it looks - REALLY looks like the "real thing".

It's pretty sad when we have to check VID numbers, make minute comparisons of board silkscreen and color just to be sure we don't have a fake... and then we STILL can't be sure.

gpb01

Hi Krupski, both .cc and .org ARE, at this time,original/official ... and ONLY the courts can tell who has the right to use the name "Arduino", so ... we have just to wait to know ...  :smiley-roll:

If someone speaks Italian ... HERE you will find a very long thread on the subject.

Guglielmo
Search is Your friend ... or I am Your enemy !

JimboZA

All this VID talk is Gobbledegook to me... can someone please take a minute to explain to me and presumably others:

• What a VID is, where it comes from
  • How I can check the VID on a device
  • Assuming I can check it, what should I hope the value is
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

Coding Badly

Mar 13, 2015, 06:33 am Last Edit: Mar 13, 2015, 06:34 am by Coding Badly

VID = Vendor ID; four digit hexadecimal number assigned by the USB mofia
PID = Product ID; four digit hexadecimal number assigned by the hardware vendor

Under Windows: Manage Computer, Device Manager, select the device, Action / Properties, Details tab, change Property to Hardware Ids.  The pair are embedded in the value.  There are very likely better ways to find them.

The USB mofia publishes a list of VIDs.  The Linux community publishes a list of pairs.

Two hexadecimal numbers (except the USB mofia who decided decimal was a better choice).

krupski

All this VID talk is Gobbledegook to me... can someone please take a minute to explain to me and presumably others:

• What a VID is, where it comes from
  • How I can check the VID on a device
  • Assuming I can check it, what should I hope the value is

If you use Linux, the "lsusb" command will show you all of your USB devices, their ID strings and their VID:PID numbers.

lestofante

also works on mac and bsd, on windows you have to look in some "device manager" tab
Guida per principianti http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/newbie
Unoffical Telegram group https://t.me/genuino

JimboZA

Under Windows: Manage Computer, Device Manager, select the device, Action / Properties, Details tab, change Property to Hardware Ids.  The pair are embedded in the value.
Great thanks.

I got USB\VID_2341&PID_0043&REV_0001. Are 2341 and 43 good for a Uno?
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

Go Up