Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.6.1 - Incorrectly Identifying Counterfeit Arduinos? (Read 2706 times) previous topic - next topic

MercuriThunder

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded to the new Arduino IDE (1.6.1) from 1.6.0, and upon connecting my Arduinos, I'm receiving the message:

"This board comes from an uncertified manufacturer.
We won't be able to provide any support if it doesn't work as expected."

This is happening on a Due and a Mega 2560. I bought these together on the same order from Mouser, and they look identical to a pair that does not experience this issue, which was purchased a couple months ago from the same distributor.

Is it possible there's a problem with the counterfeit detection scheme included in this new IDE version?

ChilliTronix

That is really odd, considering it is supposed to be open hardware...

Also odd because Mouser are a very large and reputable firm.

ChilliTronix

I forgot to add that Arduino don't seem to provide any support, enthusiasts do... so I'd ignore the warning anyway!

westfw

Part of the Arduino.cc vs Arduino.org battle?  http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=307162.0
Apparently the company that makes Arduino boards has decided that they are the important part of arduino, renamed themselves "Arduino Srl", grabbed the "arduino.org" Doman name, and is now shipping boards with a new USB Vendor ID.  Since they still manufacture all of the "official" arduino boards re-sold by distributors like Mouser, RS, and Newark, they sort-of control the supply, possible with the exception of vendors that insist on having the arduino.cc VID.

Pretty sad :-(

Arduino don't seem to provide any support
I'm pretty sure that you underestimate the efforts expended by the arduino software team.  It will be extremely interesting to see whether arduino.org is capable of fixing any software issues more complicated than changing a vendor ID or "arduino.cc" to "arduino.org"  (I notice that they didn't "inherit" the issue list from the arduino.cc github repository.  That's not a good start.)

ChilliTronix

I'm pretty sure that you underestimate the efforts expended by the arduino software team.  It will be extremely interesting to see whether arduino.org is capable of fixing any software issues more complicated than changing a vendor ID or "arduino.cc" to "arduino.org"  (I notice that they didn't "inherit" the issue list from the arduino.cc github repository.  That's not a good start.)

I was thinking of end user support rather than software writing.

PacoP

I was thinking of end user support rather than software writing.
This forum is the "real" end user support.

From Support page :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Arduino forum (http://arduino.cc/forum/) is the best place to get help with your project, or to ask questions when you're just starting out with Arduino.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you buy an Arduino board from one of the official distributors listed on this web site, you shouldn't have any issue or doubt.

I's also odd that these boards (from official distri) are now defined as "uncertified"

ChilliTronix

This forum is the "real" end user support.
Which seems mostly staffed by enthusiast volunteers, like Bob, Nick, John Wasser et al, who do not work for Arduino.

hexagon5un

Part of the Arduino.cc vs Arduino.org battle?  http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=307162.0
Yup.  All the boards produced by the Arduino SRL folks with the USB VID 0x2A03 will pop up the message.

For more on the background, see this writeup (not coincidentally, by me) at Hackaday.com.  

http://hackaday.com/2015/03/12/arduino-v-arduino-part-ii/

The short version is that the popup is harmless, and you can feel free to click "Don't show again".

westfw

Mar 14, 2015, 07:16 am Last Edit: Mar 14, 2015, 07:21 am by westfw Reason: (escaped early!)
Arduino don't seem to provide any support, enthusiasts do
You know, it's vaguely possible that SmartProjects could have spun things like:

"We're really concerned that Arduino LLC's desire to use third-party manufacturers will reduce quality and increase support burden, and we all know that their support is pretty minimal anyway, compared to that provided by the community at large.  So we have decided to form a new corporation focusing on selling well-supported boards.  Here's our new ordering site, and here's a new forum site where we've added "Official Support" topics in addition to the usual.  I'm also pleased to announce that we've reached financial arrangements with the following well-known community members to activity monitor these new topics, so that questions will be answered in a timely manner, so so that we have a motivated source for bug fixes and improvements."

But they didn't even try, so it's hard for me to see them as anything other than greedy <expletive deleted.>
Right now it's "buy our products, go over there for support."   Grr.

Go Up