A bit more Help with Loop Back Test Instructions

Can someone please explain the process of the Loop back test a bit more. I cant seem to get any Arduino project right and I am starting to think its the Arduino since the projects without an Arduino I am completing just fine. It says connect to terminal application. If I have Windows is that a CMD prompt or specific program within windows? If someone could please explain this part of the guide it would be very much appreciated. Or any links to where this techgnique would be. Tried looking and not having much luck.

This is the Loop Back Test I need the help with.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0

My son and I are both getting frustrated so any help would be awesome. Thanks.

The serial monitor will work as a terminal application, it is included on Arduino IDE.
By the way, what Arduino board do you have? Can you upload any sketch?

Have Arduino Uno. Where is the serial monitor? The link I included for the process on how to do the loop back test in my first post didnt make sense. Tried Youtube and adafruit with no luck. Just trying to figure out whats going on with the rash of simple project failures.

Here is the sketch but the issue was for every one I tried.

/*
Fade

This example shows how to fade an LED on pin 9
using the analogWrite() function.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

int led = 9; // the pin that the LED is attached to
int brightness = 0; // how bright the LED is
int fadeAmount = 5; // how many points to fade the LED by

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
// declare pin 9 to be an output:
pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
// set the brightness of pin 9:
analogWrite(led, brightness);

// change the brightness for next time through the loop:
brightness = brightness + fadeAmount;

// reverse the direction of the fading at the ends of the fade:
if (brightness == 0 || brightness == 255) {
fadeAmount = -fadeAmount ;
}
// wait for 30 milliseconds to see the dimming effect
delay(30);
}

By the way I have the latest software installed, reset button pushed the L button flashes like the troubleshooting guide indicates.

You have to copy paste the error you are seeing so we can help, but first enable verbose.

And the serial monitor is in Tools.

So quick update. Found the serial monitor and wasn't working until I went to Device manager and there was exclamation next to Arduino Uno. Installed, conflict resolved. Went back to Serial monitor and dialog box comes up. I type some text and thit send, the RX lite on the Uno flashes but I don't see any text in the serial monitor dialog box. Why is that? And the TX button hasn't flashed yet

Here is the error. No issues when verifying but when uploading there was this:

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Jan 15 2015 at 16:58:43
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM7
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20

avrdude done. Thank you.

You have to connect RX to TX as the loopback test says. Other thing, did you make sure you selected Arduino Uno on boards, under Tools?

I connected a jumper wire from TX to RX (Top right hand of the board). L lite is constant. Go to Port, thats correct, go to board, that's correct. Open Serial MOnitor. Type text, hit send and both RX and TX lite up. Must mean the board is operating fine huh? What should the programmer be set to? Mine is set to AVRISP mkII

After I can get some advice from you (thank you by the way), I will try to follow the guide on this site for "Why does my sketch appear to upload successfully but not do anything?". I want to wait and pursue this after we finish so as not make a bad situation worse. IF there is one issue I was continually having its exactly what the guide is saying. Upload fine, does nothing. Figured out by LEDs are fine as well. Thanks again.

Programmer selection does nothing unless you have a Programmer connected to the ICSP pins, then you can select Tools:Burn Bootloader, and File:Upload Using Programmer.

Type text, hit send and both RX and TX lite up. Must mean the board is operating fine huh?

Do you see the text you enter at the top box of the Serial Monitor echoed back on the screen?

Yes I did see the text this time.

So whats the next step? I think that means I cant blame the Uno for my projects not working. I guessing the next step is to follow the steps for "Why does my sketch appear to upload successfully but not do anything"? on http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload

Any other suggestions to try if:

Uno is fine, LEDS are fine, using right resistors. Thanks to all

The biggest frustration is I cant even get this to work http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink to work. The L on the Uno is flashing but my LED isnt. I understnad if I need to move this question to another area but since its all related I am hoping to get it answered and at least get one small victory today or tomorrow. The problem may be getting the right LED and resistor combo. ON the back of the bag I got at Radio shack it says

Red - Intensity 1=20mA underneath that it says 400-600, then for voltage it says 1=20mA and underneath that it says 1.8-2.0

IS my resistor too high to get the LED to light? I was told on another site to use a 220ohm reissitor. Based on that info what resistor should I use? Thanks.

Leds do have a direction, if you connect them backwards they wont light up.

That part I actually understand. The anode and cathode. Just a few last quick questions I can close this post

1. Based on the info I provided and the the loop back test, complete and getting the serial monitor test to confirm its sending/ receiving, seeing the text echo back, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the Uno. Is that right?

2. I am almost positive that the issue isnt the LED being backward. I tested LED on a breadboard and battery pack. Sorry if this is a silly question but can a resistor be too large to properly power an LED?

3. Another silly question. Do resistors have a direction like LEDs?

Thanks to all who have helped me do the loop back test. One more step I understand. Now I have to figure out why my sketches upload but dont do anything. I will post that on another post if I cant seem to solve it by the troubleshooting guide.

1. If loopback test works and code uploads fine then arduino should be fine.

2. Yes. Any resistor between 220-500 ohm should work.

3. No, resistor doesnt have polarity.

Mart256 you are awesome. Appreciate the patience in answering my questions.