Uno clone CH340 as ISP (avrdude: stk500_recv()...)

HI,

is there anybody with win7 and arduino uno ch340, who is able to use it as ISP? I had original uno, fried it (obviously), bought the clone. It worked right out of the box, no problem to upload blink. But I am unable to make it work as ISP to program attiny45. Tried CH341SER drivers, 1.6.1 IDE, no hlep.

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Jan 15 2015 at 16:58:43
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM7
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
....etc

please help :slight_smile:

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do. Is there an on line article you are trying to follow?

I am trying to program attiny45 via arduino uno (following http://highlowtech.org/?p=1695). it was working with my old unoR3, but it is not with my new unoclone with CH340. So, the problem is either in CH340 or I am doing something wrong.

so I am looking for somebody with Unoclone CH340, who is able to use it as attiny programmer.

Turn on verbose upload logging in "Preferences..."

File->Examples->ArduinoISP
Tools->Board->Arduino UNO
Tools->Port->COM7 (make sure this is correct)
File->Upload

Install a 10 uF capacitor on the Arduino UNO with the positive side of the capacitor going to Reset and the negative side of the capacitor going to Ground.

Wire up the ATtiny45:

ATtiny45 UNO ATtiny45 UNO
1 Pin 10 8 +5V
2 7 Pin 13
3 6 Pin 12
4 Gnd 5 Pin 11

Tools->Board->ATtiny45 (internal 8 MHz clock)
Tools->Port->COM7 (same as above)
Tools->Programmer->Arduino as ISP
Tools->Burn Bootloader

If that doesn't work, show use the verbose upload messages.

I did that hundred times, on two computers, with 1.0.6 to 1.6.1, cursing whole day. so why not for 101x... ok, I followed your clear and easy steps and what the...it is working :astonished: . So I was doing sth wrong, not sure what, I even dont want to know. Thank you so much for your help. You are the man Johnwasser.
And of course, the conclusion is, that You can use Arduino with CH340 as ISP to ATtiny, (if you are not imbecile :-[ ).

1 Like