Go Down

Topic: How can I connect Arduino + GSM Shield + LCD/TFT Shield ? (Read 2619 times) previous topic - next topic

vsai

Good afternoon everyone .

First thank you in advance that someone can help me. As you can see I'm new to Arduino, and I have a little problem. I want to connect to my Arduino UNO with LCD/TFT Shield and also a GSM Shield to send some SMS messages. But, somebody told me that can not connect the 3 elements ( UNO + GSM + LCD/TFT Shield) because both shields share the CS pin .

Given this situation ,

- Is there any solution ?
- What can I do ?

Thanks and I hope you can guide me.

Best regards, Vincent .

dannable

Not all GSM shields use the same pins, and most can be configured to use alternatives. Which shields are you trying to use together? Links preferably.

The official Arduino GSM/GPRS shield uses D2/D3 for comms and D7 for software power control.
Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

vsai

Hi.

I don´t know exactly the shields models, I´ve not buyed cause this problem. I just want to show images in a LCD/TFT and able to send messages by GSM Shield.

Can you tell me which models are able to do it with Arduino UNO, please ??

Thanks !!!

dannable

There are lots of models available to do it, you'll just need to research which pins each shield uses to avoid any conflicts.

I would probably pick the LCD/TFT shield first as the GSM shield can often be reconfigured.

stoutfiles

There are lots of models available to do it, you'll just need to research which pins each shield uses to avoid any conflicts.

I would probably pick the LCD/TFT shield first as the GSM shield can often be reconfigured.
He's actually on to something there, the GSM Shield doesn't play nicely with other instances of Software Serial.  Probably could have solved the problem but I ended up using the Hardware Serial for my detachable LCD on something I built last year.

dannable

Quote from: stoutfiles
He's actually on to something there, the GSM Shield doesn't play nicely with other instances of Software Serial.  Probably could have solved the problem but I ended up using the Hardware Serial for my detachable LCD on something I built last year.
I might have missed something (probably rather than possibly!) but if the op is worried about CS then I take that to mean they are planning on using the SPI interface to talk to the display, and SoftwareSerial to talk to the GSM shield. I'm not aware of any compatibility issues between the two? I have had problems trying to use I2C with some GSM shields even though it wasn't supposed to be used.

Multiple instances of SoftwareSerial do not play nicely together.

stoutfiles

I might have missed something (probably rather than possibly!) but if the op is worried about CS then I take that to mean they are planning on using the SPI interface to talk to the display, and SoftwareSerial to talk to the GSM shield. I'm not aware of any compatibility issues between the two? I have had problems trying to use I2C with some GSM shields even though it wasn't supposed to be used.

Multiple instances of SoftwareSerial do not play nicely together.
You're right, I didn't realize it was the touch screen.

I don't believe the GSM nor the touch screen share any pins.  GSM uses 2,3,7...touch (depending on model) can use 10,11,12,13,8,9,and 4.

Go Up