Go Down

Topic: Soldering iron (Read 8095 times) previous topic - next topic

polymorph

Yes, don't use an oven that you'll use for food. A kitchen oven tends to take a long time to warm up and change temperature.

I found a convection toaster oven at a thrift store for $10.

Ideally, you want the temperature to do something like this:

A full size oven is going to take longer, generally, to ramp up and back down.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

Paul__B

Ideally, you want the temperature to do something like this:

Why does that look so familiar?

charliesixpack

The Hakko FX-951 sells for $225 on Amazon with excellent customer reviews.  You can get it at Banggood for $90.  Banggood has never disappointed me.

aisc

Mar 28, 2015, 08:46 pm Last Edit: Mar 28, 2015, 08:47 pm by aisc
The Hakko FX-951 sells for $225 on Amazon with excellent customer reviews.  You can get it at Banggood for $90.  Banggood has never disappointed me.
In case anyone thinks the Banggood item is is a bargain, just be aware the advertised unit is not a genuine Hakko, but is styled after the Hakko FX-951 i.e. it is a copy.

knut_ny

I use a regular clothes iron, controlled by a pro mini (2 sec PWM) via SSR. 
Ny

Byork

In case anyone thinks the Banggood item is is a bargain, just be aware the advertised unit is not a genuine Hakko, but is styled after the Hakko FX-951 i.e. it is a copy.

I second this. The popular brands sold by these Chinese sellers at drastically reduced prices are not genuine. I came across some articles showing a comparison of the dismantled products, genuine and non-genuine Chinese copies.

Paul__B

I second this. The popular brands sold by these Chinese sellers at drastically reduced prices are not genuine. I came across some articles showing a comparison of the dismantled products, genuine and non-genuine Chinese copies.
Kinda like Arduinox, bench power supplies, oscilloscopes ...

Go Up