Soldering iron

dankgus:
Please don't spend $91 on the hakko gizmo

While I'm sure your Weller suits you fine, and I realize you love it and think its the best - to call the Hakko a "gizmo" is doing a disservice to the unit and the brand.

Hakko is one of the best soldering iron manufacturers in the world - their stuff is professional grade, same as Weller; while I can't speak to how the FX888D performs, I do own another older Hakko - and while tip cartridges for it are virtually impossible to find, it has performed reliably for me and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

That said, I have read nothing but praise for that particular Hakko model. If there were to be any complaints from me, it would be about being wary regarding the tips - Hakko likes to "upgrade" their product line about every 10 years, and tips for the new version may not fit older versions, and the old tips might stop being produced (like for my iron - which, granted, is going on 15 years old). However, this could happen with any brand (so buy as many tips as you can afford over time).

Though maybe with Weller, they do a better job about keeping the old stuff working for people...?