Go Down

Topic: Arduino Tactile Temperature Gauge Using Peltier (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jdr-m

Hi guys, I'm very new to electronics and coding in general, so struggling with a Uni assignment a bit.

I'm attempting to create a one off device that allows you to touch and feel the current temperature of a location specified by my code.

In addition to the tactile feedback, I also want to create a visual feedback through 4-8 RGB LED's that change colour depending on the temperature range.

I have most of the components, which I'll include below, but I'm struggling to begin the build process of the project.

Specifically I'm attempting to connect the arduino (which is an UNO) and peltier module using the below article, but I don't understand what to connect the GND da fonte and VCC da fonte wires to? They trail off the diagram and I can't seem to find a reliable answer through research (or I'm looking up the wrong things).

I'm loathe to accidently fry my board or any other components, so if anyone could give me a hand it'd be very appreciated.

As mentioned, I'm very new to this, so if it's a simple and possibly stupidly obvious solution, bear with me.

Thank you.

Peltier Article: http://garagelab.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-use-a-peltier-with-arduino

Components:
Freetronics EtherTen (Arduino Uno R3-compatible with Ethernet)
12V Peltier Module
12V Fan w/ Copper Heatsink
IRLB8721PBF N-channel power MOSFET - 30V / 60A
5mm LED RGB - Common Cathode
20 Value Resistor Kit
7805 +5V 1A Voltage Regulator
12V Powerpoint Supply
Prototyping Breadboard (30slots)
Female to male, m to m, f to f headers.

Paul_KD7HB

The two connections you are wondering about go to the 12 volt power supply. I don't know why they added the "da fonte".

Looks like you are ready to go.

You will need to find a piece of aluminum or copper to make a heat sink for the cold end of the device. Your Peltier device creates 126 cold and hot spots on the ceramic plates. These need to be dissipated or spread out as quickly as possible.  Use a heat sink on the cold side as well as the hot side. You can use a piece of aluminum plate, say 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and a bit larger than the Peltier device. Also use a think coating of heat sink grease on both heat sinks, if you can find it. Just makes the heat transfer more efficient.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to fail!

Paul

Go Up